Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar

Fun/little Suprise weekend for me and the dog

As some of you know, we bought a new house and have renovated it from top to bottom. In doing so, I have taken an almost 3 month sabbatical from our show team, as well as search and rescue. That doesn't mean I haven't been working with the dog...I just haven't been going to practices and "working". So our team was doing a couple of shows this weekend, and we decided to go out and show our support. We walked over to their area, and saw that they had an agility course set up. We said hello and everything, and our coach and trainer said to us "go run it". So we did, we got right back in our groove and he was perfect having never seen the course. The trainer then threw a team shirt at me and told me to suit up as we're going to do the whole show. Well it was a bit of a shocker as it was a whole new routine. She said just follow the person to your left, and smile. So we did.

The show went great. I was wearing the wrong color shorts, and flip flops (not knowing I'd be performing in the afternoon). The show was on pavement, so my feet felt just fantastic after the show (I ran it barefoot). So we did some marching, formations etc. We then play a few rounds of Simon says. Simon says, sit. Simon says, down. Simon says bow. Etc. This went fine as well. We did some running marks, as well as back up lanes.

Next the jumps came out. First speed jumps, which my dog loves. I just let him run it out, no chance I can keep up with him. He jumps them all and then wheels right and finds me at the end. Pick him up in a heel. We then have the ramps come out, which we jump over dogs. First 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, dogs in the middle and the jumpers jump over them. He nailed this as well. At this point I'm thinking okay like where is this all coming from. I was expecting him to be tired and not that into it...boy was I wrong. I was ten time more exhausted than him. I thought he would be out of shape when in actuality, it was just me!

We usually save the high jump for last as this is the most exciting for the crowd. This is also my dogs favorite. We start at about 3 feet. After each successful jump, you get back in line, and up goes another bar until eventually everyone is eliminated. Each jump went fantastic, and before you knew it, we were in the final 4, which is normal. His jumping friends are a Siberian husky, a German shepherd, and a doberman. This is where it gets exciting because the bar is up at 5 feet tall, and now the increments drop to inches. He nails the first jump, bar goes up, he nails the second jump, bar goes up, he nails the 3rd jump, bar goes up (German shepherd and the husky have now been eliminated). 4th jump, my boy just clips the top of the bar with his toe nail, just as my left hand flew up to signal jump, it was like watching it in slow motion. The dobe, cleared the jump and won it.

It was fantastic, great competition, and fun for the dogs. Clearly a clear sign from my dog that it's time to get back out there and get to work. Truly made me feel fantastic that his conditioning was so good, even with taking some time off.

Best Friend Retriever SoapySophie's Avatar
    Congrats - sounds like fun and he's beautiful!
    Sophie: Born July 28, 2014
    Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SoapySophie For This Useful Post:

xracer4844 (05-11-2015)

Wow!!!! Great job!!!! I bet he had way too much fun!!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

xracer4844 (05-11-2015)

What a great surprise! That is a very handsome boy you have.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

xracer4844 (05-11-2015)

Hugs Congratulations!

You both went into it relaxed and ready to have fun and boy did it pay off.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

9. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

xracer4844 (05-11-2015)

Senior Dog
    "Jumping friends". Hahahha good for you guys. Better toss a pair of tennis shoes in the car just in case.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dallas dawg For This Useful Post:

xracer4844 (05-12-2015)

Best Friend Retriever Gibbysmom's Avatar
    That sounds like such fun.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gibbysmom For This Useful Post:

xracer4844 (05-12-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos