House Broken

Had a scare last night and feel terrible

I'm a little distraught right now but I'm just a huge overthinker and really don't think I need to be so torn up, I'm just looking for a little reassurance.

Anywho my lab is 10 weeks old and he's been swimming since 7 weeks, a pro at it since his first dive in the water. I was working on some water retrieves with him last night and the water was choppy but I was keeping the bumper in the calm area, like 8ft retrieves. Well with one throw it hit the calm water and skipped off it into the choppy water about 12ft out. I don't restrain the pup during retrieves yet, I'm following the Hillmann program and he doesn't want you restraining the pup. So naturally the pup takes off after it in a flash I have hip boots on and wade after him just watching him and I noticed when he got about a foot or two away from the bumper his back end drooped and then what seemed like a millisecond he was down to just his head barely above the water. He was swimming head on into the choppy water.

I scooped him up, in the process filled my waders full of water and walked him back to the land. He sat down on shore just looking at the bumper in the lake then I got it and came back and praised him. He still had energy prancing around the lake shore so I eventually walked back in and he followed me in the shallow trotting around trying to get the bumper out of my hand. Then I did a small loop out into the lake where he'd have to swim and he followed me with no problem. I threw another bumper out into the calm water and he went out grabbed it and brought it back. After that I packed it up and we went and walked the fields and woods and the entire time he was carrying the bumper or trying to get me to throw it (he only gets about 6 retrieves a day)

I'm not sure what I'm looking to get out of writing this post but more just getting these worries off my chest and I'm just hoping I didn't ruin him for water. I definitely learned to be more careful and even if there is calm water if the majority of the lake is choppy I'm not going to have him swimming.
    Last edited by teej89; 05-13-2015 at 09:17 AM.

It's good you let him back in the water to end on a positive note, although it doesn't sound like he was phased at all . Good insight on your part!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meeps83 For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (05-14-2015), teej89 (05-13-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Meeps83 View Post
    It's good you let him back in the water to end on a positive note, although it doesn't sound like he was phased at all . Good insight on your part!
    I agree! Ending the retrieve session positively was exactly what you needed to do. I highly doubt you have caused the puppy any harm! You, on the other hand, probably needed a glass of wine, (or whatever you choose), after that, lol! I might have needed 2!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

teej89 (05-13-2015)

Duplicate post!
    Last edited by Maxx&Emma; 05-13-2015 at 03:46 PM.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

House Broken
    Thanks guys! Yeah I was freaking out when it happened, some bourbon woulda definitely helped lol I don't think he was phased, especially since he went back in, it was just wearing on me like other so I had to vent on here

That's scary! I don't let my adult dogs in water that is too choppy or swift. I hear too many horror stories and I'd be one of those owners who goes in after them, then has my second dog go in after me and all of us drown, like you hear about on the news. I'd stick to quiet ponds with a little puppy. Glad he's OK and glad you're ok, too!

You did the right thing. Good observation and timely action. I knew a dog that was out of NFC, FC, AFC Westwind Super Nova Chief who was still letting her butt go down and doing the stair-climbing puppy splash when she was quite a big dog, (5 or 6 months old, at any rate.) The more splash that would get in her face, the more she would bring her head up. The more her head went up, the more her butt went down, until it really did look like she could be in big trouble. I think the handler went in after at least once.

But she learned to swim and I think almost all of them do. BTW: Rocket Dog still looks like a geek in the water. She is trying so hard to swim so fast that she just churns the water to a froth. Once she learns to reach out and keep her head down, she'll be fast as greased lightning on land AND water.

I've had some big scares over the years w/ the canal here and so far, all has been well. Try not to overreact. Stay calm for your dog when he gets in a little "over his head". He'll be fine. And yea, go pour yourself a drink.
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos