kibble pieces sticking together?

the DH just opened a new bag of dry dog food last night and put it in an airtight container.
    This morning he asked me to look at it, said there were "clumps" in it.
    So I took a peak, yup there are "clumps" of kibble (meaning a lot of individual pieces stuck together, baseball sized)... there are 2 big clumps right on top of the container and then a bunch of 3-4 pieces stuck together. They seem to break apart, don't appear discolored, smells normal and the expiration date is quite a time away.
    Just wondering if this is normal??
    Here in Upstate NY we have basically gone from winter (cold temps) to summer (hot & humid) in a weeks time. I store the bags in the basement, cool & dark.
    But this is the first time I've seen clumps in dog food.

The brand is Zignature, Trout & Salmon. I haven't been feeding this type for very long, so I'm not sure if it could just be the manufacturer or not.

Never fed that. Call them and see what they say.

I have never seen food do that, very strange. Can you call the company that makes this food and ask if this is normal? Maybe the pet/feed store as well? Most, if not all stores will take the bag back if you decide not to use it. They usually have no problem replacing the food.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

I would not necessarily blame the manufacturer, but do call them anyway.

I'd be more inclined to think improper stacking with the distributor/store, may have put a pinhole in the bag and allowed moisture in. Either one, I'd take it back to the store for an exchange. One thing for sure is, I wouldn't feed it.
    Hidden Content
    Abby
    ​Decisions, decisions, decisions

Hidden Content

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Cheryl Zuccaro

Anything "off" with the look or smell of kibble, I would not feed and contact the company. No need to take a chance.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

6. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (05-14-2015)

Thanks all.
    I did call the company. They stated that the cause could be one of two things.
    1. The drying part of the manufacturing process was incomplete. or
    2. That specific line, being fish based, has had problems in the past because of the Omega 3 & 6 properties and oils sticking together.
    Either or should not present any health risks.
    The company did offer to test a sample if I wanted and stated I could return product to place of purchase for an exchange.
    I called the place of purchase, who has a 100% guarantee, to see about the return policy. I have the food, the bag, but already trashed the receipt and they can offer store credit for me. Since i'm there every 3 weeks buying food, that works fine.
    I had been rotating thru Fromm products, but was seeking an alternative grain free that didn't have chicken in the ingredients.

Improper drying could have lead to mold. Definitely take it back.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos