Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Real Retriever Moby and Barley's Mom's Avatar

Moving with puppies in tow

Good morning. I will be moving from over 2 acres of land in Napa to a Victorian in town as I was unable to keep my home during my divorce. I LOVE my home in the country and my dogs do as well. But - no choice - we are moving in two weeks to a much smaller place with a nice yard - but a yard - and not land to run around in. I am having a fence built on one side so the dogs stay out of the vegetable beds, etc. that I plan on starting - and the fruit trees that already exist - but how do I help transition the dogs to this. When we moved before - Moby (the 13 1/2 year old) really hated it - and it took him some time. The puppy will probably adapt better. Can you offer any suggestions as to how I might help to assist their transition?

Thank you!
    Forever in my heart - Sweet gentle Moby - lover of belly rubs, bacon, and Barbara 9-10-2001 to 11-2-2015

Senior Dog
    When we moved, we sold our house and then moved into a rental for 9 months while our new house was built. Kimber did best when we kept as close to our usual routines as possible (meal times, scheduled walks); made sure she had easy access to her bed and her crate (and once we showed her where they were, didn't move them); and unpacking the main living areas as quick as possible so there weren't boxes where she spent time.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Best Friend Retriever Snowco Labradors's Avatar
    I was moved in and had all dog toys, beds, crates, etc. in the house before bringing the dogs to the new house. Familiar smells help.

I would take my dogs to the new place as I was moving in, add beds, toys, etc. So, they would be there a couple hours here and there before the actual move-in date. However, time is usually all they need.

We always adjusted fine. I think if you don't stress over the dogs, they won't feel your stress and worry.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (05-13-2015), kimbersmom (05-13-2015), Labradorks (05-13-2015), POPTOP (05-13-2015), Scoutpout (05-13-2015), ZoeysMommy (05-13-2015)

When we moved from South Fla. To lower Alabama a 10+ hr drive we had three dogs (Gracie, Cheanna, and,Bubba), three cats, an Iguana, and a large gold fish (had it for years in a plastic pond out back) everyone did well and setteled down a day or two after we arrived. Think the key is not to make a big deal about moving and try to keep as close to the same routine as possible.
    At the Bridge
    Pinks - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 12/30/10 - 5/12/23
    Maddie - Chessie - 3/6/10 - 6/25/22
    Purps (Pinks sister) - Black Lab/mix -(Back with us 1/1/18) 12/30/10 - 4/7/21
    Gracie - Yellow Lab - 10/23/05 - 9/6/18
    Nozomi (Zoe) - BC/Lab - Got ya 9/5/09 - 3/19/15
    Abbey - Yellow Lab - Got ya - 5/8/09 - 4/22/11
    Cheanna - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 5/99 - 9/21/10
    Buddy (Bubba) - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 11/2/02 - 3/28/10
    Amber - Yellow Lab/Dobi - Got ya 8/1989 - 5/15/01

"their" stuff, know where their crates and beds are going to go, and if possible have those there before you go in. if you have a few days overlap, start taking a few things each day, and take them.
    they usually settle right down once all the familiar trappings of home are there.

Best Friend Retriever
    Most of all, your dogs want to be with you, so I like all the suggestions above, & the dogs will adjust. I think especially the 13 1/2 yr old one won't mind so much not having a lot of room to run, & the younger dog can be taken for a lot of longer walks to make up for not having room to run....best of luck with your move--please let us know how it goes!

Maintain a routine, introduce the 'new normal' and don't let them feel or see the stress.

I'm not sure what kind of access you have to the new place over the next two weeks, but if you can take the dogs to visit it and expose them to it, it might help and not be such a sudden shock.
    Especially considering you have a "senior". I know I'm going through a period where my senior seems to be very sensitive to sounds.

We moved almost 3 years ago. We moved from a 1 story ranch with not a single step in or outside the house to a 2 story log cabin with stairs to enter.
    We had 2 dogs at that time (approx 7 & 9 yrs old). So you can imagine the "fun" of stairs. up & down, up & down.
    Long story short, any time we went to the new house, whether it was to drop off a box, or clean, or some chore, we took the dogs. Short visits just to expose them to the new sights, sounds, smells, in and around the house. I think we even feed them dinner one night there before we completely moved in.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos