Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bad luck contiinues...

I really feel like we have this huge black cloud that is sitting right above our house
    My daughter injured her baby finger a over two months ago and finally last Monday got the splint removed, only needing to wear it a bedtime for two week. We were out in our yard on the weekend, she was helping me rake and clean up the grass. While moving our trailer, that attaches to our lawn tractor, she somehow pulled it harder than she thought and it slammed into her index finger that was against the lawn tractor, she felt something pop and her finger swelled up immediately. Thankfully it isn't broken, but her fingers are buddy taped, of course it is her right hand. She needs to have it x-rayed again next week if it is no better to make sure they didn't miss a fracture. It is still sore and swollen and she has a doctors appointment this afternoon.
    Yesterday I received a phone call at work, the message from our unit clerk was "there is an emergency call for you, it's from your sons school". My son is 19, drives to school, and this call was at the start of his day. Of course my mind is racing to all the terrible possibilities as I am walking to the phone. Apparently he had been in gym class, playing football and his feet slipped out from under him (they were playing on wet grass with no cleats on) and he slammed his leg into a soccer goal post. he was unable to put any weight on his leg, was in a lot of pain, and they wanted me to pick him up and take him to the hospital. My work is over an hour from the school, so I called my dad to pick him up. By the time my dad got to the school, the Principal had decided to drive him to the hospital because my son was in so much pain. By the time I got to the hospital he had xrays done and was told nothing was broken and to come back in a week if it was no better. I have never seen my son in so much pain, they didn't even as much as offer him a pain pill, or clean the cut on his leg. I got him home and onto the couch and he hasn't moved since other than up to the bathroom. His whole foot is swollen, he is bruised along the base of his big toe (no foot xray was done) can't move his toes because they are sore and swollen, his ankle is swollen as is his lower leg where he hit the goal post. I am frustrated with the lack of assessment done by the ER doctor. My son said she touched his foot lightly here and there, never asked him to move it or assessed it enough to notice the instant bruising at the base of his big toe. It may not be broken but he certainly did a lot of damage
    We could really use some positive thought sent our way...and maybe some bubble wrap to cover ourselves until this black cloud moves along.
    Thanks for listening...you guys are great!!!

I hope things begin to improve for you. Not sure if this will make you feel better or not BUT: they say bad things happen in 3's. Sounds like you hit your three things so it only has to get better from here, right? I hope so anyway.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beth101509 For This Useful Post:

coopersmom (05-14-2015)

They may not have done x-rays on his foot/ankle because of the swelling. I know our facility a lot of times will have a patient come back once the swelling goes down for x-rays. That being said, it's pretty crappy that they didn't clean the wound or give him something for the swelling and/or pain.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Meeps83 For This Useful Post:

coopersmom (05-14-2015)

Oh Rats! Same thought on the x-rays; swelling can mask small fractures/cracks. So sorry this has happened to your kids.

If you feel at all that things are not progressing in a positive direction for your son, get him to your doctor.

Sending healing prayers.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

7. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

coopersmom (05-14-2015)

Ugh, so sorry to hear this! My husband broke his leg 3 years ago on Thanksgiving; we were in a small town with a crappy hospital... the "doctor" said it's fractured, but you don't need to have it operated on right away. Well, we got home the next day and by the time we got to the hospital, it was too swollen to operate on... we had to wait 2 WEEKS while he was in a splint and horrible pain. It was awful. I agree with Poptop... if it doesn't start getting better, take him to your doctor to get a 2nd opinion.

Sending you loads of thoughts and a huge supply of bubble wrap!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to twocrazylabs For This Useful Post:

coopersmom (05-15-2015)

I would be calling my family dr to request an x-ray on the ankle and foot as well as some pain meds. Sending good thoughts the "black cloud" finds somewhere else to hang out.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    I would be calling my family dr to request an x-ray on the ankle and foot as well as some pain meds. Sending good thoughts the "black cloud" finds somewhere else to hang out.
    I took him in last night and they x-rayed his leg, ankle and foot. Thankfully no fractures seen. His lower leg from about 4 inches above the ankle down to his toes is swollen. He is still on crutches, they wrapped his ankle and suggested I buy a splint to support it. He refused to take anything for pain other than plain Tylenol while at the hospital. He says that the Tylenol and Advil I had given him the other day made him feel sick to his stomach, so he is reluctant to take anything. The Doctors kept saying that he was one tough guy!!

I have found that gettig any form of pain management has become impossible with all the pain med addiction issues in the USA. I am so sorry you going through all this.

Quote Originally Posted by coopersmom View Post
    I took him in last night and they x-rayed his leg, ankle and foot. Thankfully no fractures seen. His lower leg from about 4 inches above the ankle down to his toes is swollen. He is still on crutches, they wrapped his ankle and suggested I buy a splint to support it. He refused to take anything for pain other than plain Tylenol while at the hospital. He says that the Tylenol and Advil I had given him the other day made him feel sick to his stomach, so he is reluctant to take anything. The Doctors kept saying that he was one tough guy!!
    Thank goodness there are no fractures! I sure hope he starts to feel better soon.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

That's great that there aren't any fractures but I understand the pain and frustration. Poor kids. All good thoughts.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

coopersmom (05-15-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos