Puppy

Drop it (in a specific spot)

I would like to teach my 9 month old how to carry an item to a specific spot and drop it there. For instance, if I ask her to put something on the coffee table, I would like it to end up on the coffee table, not the floor next to the table. She seems to understand that I want her to take an item to the general area but it could get left anywhere. Does anyone have any tips for putting items in a specific location?

Sounds like you've already taught the retrieve/take it/fetch it/get it command. Next you have to teach hold. Then you have to give a name to each place you want the item to end on. So, if it's the coffee table, you have to associate a word to that "table". If it's a toy box, "box". If its your hands "give". Only do one at a time though until solid. This would be taught just like the dumb bell in obedience, which is an upper level exercise. However, getting from standing next to the table and guiding her then moving from the table, much like a send and drop, is another step. Each item should be taught individually until the dog is solid. It's going to take some time. She's 9 months. just a baby. Have fun with it, make it a game, and be patient. If she seems confused or stressed, take a step back in your training.
    Last edited by Labradorks; 05-15-2015 at 11:25 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (05-18-2015), POPTOP (05-15-2015), Woodrow_Woodchuck (05-15-2015)

Real Retriever
    Labradorks is correct!

EVERYTHING in the house needs a name and she needs to know them. "This is the Dining Room, This is the Big Table." The coffee table can be the little table or Coffee table. I start from day one and constantly talk to the pup. "Let's go in the Living room, this is the living room YEAH!"

Sunshine has not gotten to dropping things in a specific spot, not important to me. She will bring objects to rooms or area's and drop them. She will check specific places while playing hide and seek. "Did you check on the bed?" ZOOM!!!

I would start with easy, well known places, to build her confidence and so she understands exactly what you are asking. 'Get this toy and put it on your blanket/bed/crate.' GOOD GIRL! YEAH!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Woodrow_Woodchuck For This Useful Post:

Gibbysmom (05-15-2015)

Be careful what you wish for! Teaching her to put stuff on the coffee table could lead to her taking stuff off the coffee table.

Real Retriever
    Quote Originally Posted by arentspowell View Post
    Be careful what you wish for! Teaching her to put stuff on the coffee table could lead to her taking stuff off the coffee table.
    LOL! There is that too! Once a place is no longer "Off Limits" a lab can form a mighty fuzzy 'what rules apply' there. Instead of not being allowed on the table, they start to think that there may be something up there that you want, after all, they put things there.

Puppy
    The ultimate goal was to teach her to put my shoes away. She learned how to fetch my shoes (once she figured out that meant she was going for a walk that became a task she started to do with a lot of enthusiasm). Getting her to put the shoes back when we are done seemed like a natural follow on. Maybe I'll stick with her dropping them in the right room until she learns the names of more objects.

Thank you all for the feedback.

I think target training might help you achieve your goal. That's how we've worked on foot work for agility but I think it can be transferable to what you're trying to do

Puppy
    Is there a good guide book for training on this level that you'd recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by SneekyCarrot View Post
    The ultimate goal was to teach her to put my shoes away. She learned how to fetch my shoes (once she figured out that meant she was going for a walk that became a task she started to do with a lot of enthusiasm). Getting her to put the shoes back when we are done seemed like a natural follow on. Maybe I'll stick with her dropping them in the right room until she learns the names of more objects.

Thank you all for the feedback.
    Why would that be a good follow-on? What does she get out of putting your shoes away? Certainly not a walk, right? In her mind getting the shoes and bringing them to you equals a walk. That's why she is doing it. You've also created a chain. So, when you tell her to "go get my shoes" or whatever you use, she is going to assume that it means "go for a walk" and not necessarily just "go get my shoes" and it's going to be challenging (but not impossible) to ask her to do something else with the shoes without causing confusion because in her mind, it's A+B=C. Does that make sense?

Denise Fenzi has some good ideas that helps train a dog by letting them figure it out on their own. You just have to be positive and let the treats flow even for good tries. I was hesitant to treat my dog for making a mistake (such a big no-no) when shaping him to take and hold the dumb bell, but what it did was to reward him for continuing to try through his frustration and actually sped up the process. I've been working on the hold (admittedly, off and one since it's such a frustrating topic for me) for about a year and now that I am doing shaping, he's gotten it in a week. Not only that but once you know what you are doing, it's a BLAST!

It's hard to explain via message, but it's actually easy to do once you get the shaping exercise.
    Last edited by Labradorks; 05-18-2015 at 03:44 PM.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos