Thread: nulo?

nulo?

Anyone here feed Nulo? After a lengthy and informative conversation with the lady at the local pet store I came home with a small bag of Nulo for Rubble. I'll be switching him off of science diet advanced fitness. Nulo is expensive but if the information I was given is correct, I'll feed rubble half of what I feed on science diet so it should last longer. Other benefits I was told of are; more protein less starchy carbs (stays fuller longer), better coat, probiotic for digestion and he'll go #2 less often.

Any opinions of nulo?

Thanks - rubble

Real Retriever
    never heard of it.

Did you check out other foods? How expensive is it compared to similar ingredient foods? It seems like a decent ingredient list on the turkey & sweet potato one I googled up but nothing you can't come close to elsewhere.

How many kcal per cup was your Science Diet compared to this? If the previous food was working then I like to keep Protein, Fat and Kcal/cup numbers close and then it's not likely you will see a very different amount fed.

To my mind the person selling you pet food at the pet food store has just as much interest vested in making a sale as the Vet selling Science Diet, if it was the Rx version Science Diet. They may be very informed and a good source of knowledge but it's hard to tell unless you have some kind of relationship with them and trust them.
    Last edited by Snowshoe; 05-20-2015 at 08:49 AM.

I am not familiar with Nulo either. I'm always a bit suspicious of people at pet stores giving food recommendations, too, especially if it is a more expensive food. Some stores will have company representatives in store advising folks that their food is the way to go and people aren't always aware that they're not regular store employees. It looks like one of their lines is carried exclusively at Petsmart. If that's where you were, maybe they're trying to push a new line of food.

Otherwise, the protein and fat percentages of Nulo are about what I feed my dogs. Peas, lentils, sweet potatoes are still sources of carbohydrates and the whole grain-free thing is very fad-ish right now. Not all dogs require grain free diets to thrive. If it suits your budget and you want to try it, why not? I don't feed science diet because I like more animal based protein sources in the first few ingredients. The SD food lists chicken as the first ingredient by weight and the subsequent 5 ingredients are grain products. Once the water is cooked out of the chicken, little animal protein remains. So I'd probably switch from SD anyway.

Looks new and it looks like you met a sales rep getting people to try it. Doesn't seem bad from the ingredients. I'd be interested in when the company started. I would rather stick with a food company that has years behind them.

never heard of it.

was the person recommending it an employee of the store and knowledgeable in foods (and if so were they ONLY pushing that one brand?), or a rep for the company? I know petsmart is annoying cuz you get food reps there trying to sell you on their brand, irks me. I would be wary of an employee of the company pushing one brand too.

Some stores have knowledgble staff (generally more the smaller locally owner type places) but they would recommend a few brands and talk about them VS recommend one food

Is this it: Nulo Pet Food
    doesn't look too bad at first, quick, glance. woudl be curiuos how it compares price wise.

ETA: Ok most of us haven't heard of it as it's only available in a certain area of Texas!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post

Is this it: Nulo Pet Food
    doesn't look too bad at first, quick, glance. woudl be curiuos how it compares price wise.

ETA: Ok most of us haven't heard of it as it's only available in a certain area of Texas!
    I typed a couple of states in at the Find a Store section and got hits for New York and California. I only checked on other state, Maine, and got no hits. It didn't offer country or province so I guess not available here in Canada.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Tanya (05-22-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos