Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ridgebacks?

Ridgebacks?

Hi everyone,

Feels weird asking about a breed other than the amazing Labrador. My husband and I are in a bit of a dispute about a second dog. I vote lab (of course) and he votes Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Anyone here happen to have a ridgeback that can give me some input?

Thanks!

Vicky

House Broken
    The very few that I know personally can be a bit grouchy.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sam I Am For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (05-22-2015), monsterpup (05-22-2015), windycanyon (05-23-2015)

A friend od mine has one, rescued him about 10 years ago when he was 2. I think he's an awesome dog. Very handsome and athletic, good natured. Since he was a rescue they aren't certain he's pure bred, but he sure does look like one.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

monsterpup (05-22-2015)

Just like all breeds, a great dog for the right kind of family. I have a RR breeder who lives near me, and we converse at the local coffee shop. He knows I'm in Labs. We talk about their differences. He says RR are devoted to their people, but can be aloof with other people and dogs. They are not happy go lucky dogs, and he says his boy in particular is very stubborn.

Ridgebacks aren't Labs, for sure. They can hunt and quarter large game, big prey drive, are tireless runners, and I gather rather independent thinkers. I think they are big, gorgeous dogs for the right family who are willing to exercise them properly and be diligent about setting boundaries/rules for what will likely be a smart, energetic, willful dog.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dxboon For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (05-22-2015), monsterpup (05-22-2015), Tanya (05-22-2015), windycanyon (05-23-2015)

Find a good breeder and see if you can spend some time with their dogs.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (05-22-2015), Charlotte K. (05-22-2015), dxboon (05-22-2015), monsterpup (05-22-2015), sheltieluver (05-23-2015), windycanyon (05-23-2015)

Thanks everyone. I've contacted a number of breeders so far, so we'll see.

Personally, I can't imagine not having another big, goofy lab personality around.

Buuuuttttt I'll do my research to make the hubby happy. He's a runner and we have the space at home as well, so the exercise thing doesn't worry me. The aloofness/not happy go lucky trait does.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to monsterpup For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (05-22-2015)

Senior Dog
    I have a friend who runs with her Ridgeback...Leyna is also a lure coursing dog. She's pretty good with other dogs. My friend's first female Ridgeback was extremely timid.

Other friends have a male who was fine when he was younger but got really unpredictable as he aged. The female they had when they got this one as a puppy was not good around other dogs at all...not even this one at first.

Other friends have a male they inherited when their son came home from college and then moved out without being able to take "his" dog with him. That male isn't good around other dogs.

I used to have another friend who had a male she shared with her boyfriend...that dog wasn't good with other dogs.

And with the exception of the friends who had the female then added the male puppy, none of these folks had other dogs with their Ridgeback. That female was the only one out of all of these who wasn't good with people...the others are/were all lovebugs.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (05-22-2015), monsterpup (05-22-2015)

Be sure to find a reputable breeder. My friend wanted one so badly she did not wait. I can only imagine he came from a puppy mill or backyard breeder. The dog has hip issues at 9 months and sever alergy problems.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jollymolly For This Useful Post:

monsterpup (05-22-2015)

Here are a few off the cuff remarks. Proceed carefully. Properly bred RRs are gorgeous, graceful, primal creatures who can be loving, loyal companions. Conversely, they can be extremely dominant with each other or the wrong dog or even people. Dominant as in biting chunks out of dogs. I would not trust many of them with cats. They have long memories. They do not suffer fools gladly, and that includes clownish Labs. I am friends with Ridgeback breeders. One used to foster Labs for me until her male nailed one when they both raced after the same ball. Labs do not give enough deference for some Ridgebacks. If you get one, only do it after spending time with a pack of them loose with their breeder. That should give you an idea of their ways. Training should be positive but firm and fair. If you might be afraid of a teenage "who made you king" stage, think twice. Consider getting the opposite sex of your Lab. Don't let a RR get fat. They are eye candy for me, but they are not a good fit for my spouse, who is not observant and careful enough to have one. I also think my Labs and Cavaliers might give offense to one, and that is a deal breaker right now as I value my peaceable little kingdom and DH's happiness.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charlotte K. For This Useful Post:

monsterpup (05-22-2015), sheltieluver (05-23-2015), windycanyon (05-23-2015)

Would a pointer or German Shorthair or Vizsla be a good running companion for your husband? The Vizslas look much like liver nosed ridgebacks. Other sporting dogs may do better with a Lab.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos