Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Very, very worried

So most of my posts have been about Ram-Jet Rocket Dog and my angst about training a dog that is such a high roller.

But now I need everyone to think good thoughts for my 7 year old MH. Husband was holding her last night (because I was attending to RD and she wanted to stick her nose in for attention) when he said... "she has a lump." On the side of her throat, beginning at the angle of her jaw was a very firm, not-painful, large mass. Of course, the vet is closed for the holidays. Bridget is asymptomatic, so there is no reason (apart from my alarm) to go to the dog-ER.

This morning it's the size of a baseball, maybe even a softball. Visible, not just palpable. Still very firm and non-tender. How could I have missed something like this for any length of time? I put the e-collar on her every time we train. I check her neck carefully to make sure the contacts are positioned properly, but that the collar is not too tight. I don't see how I could have NOT noticed this thing.

I'm doing hot moist compresses 20 minutes out of every hour. I am praying it's an abscess and that antibiotics will fix it, maybe draining. So hope it's not a malignancy.

Is it free moving, as though you could almost pick up the lump if it were not held down by skin? If so, it might just be a benign fatty tumor, a lipoma. If it is a lymph gland that is up, that is more concerning. If it were a salivary gland, I would think you would see some signs such as gingerly eating or you might smell very bad breath. Obviously, I am just going by experience and not sure where the lump is. If you are that worried, go by your gut on this. If it is getting larger overnight, a vet visit could be warranted sooner rather than later. I would want an abscess seen before the infection goes systemic. Let us know.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlotte K. For This Useful Post:

barry581 (05-24-2015)

Keeping you in my thoughts please keep us posted.

Sending good thoughts and prayers it is nothing serious. If only these dogs could talk...
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Real Retriever Moby and Barley's Mom's Avatar
    Deep deep breath - and please do not chastise yourself. You are doing the best you can. It does seem to be growing rather quickly - but who knows. My older dog (13 1/2) has a lot of benign tumors. Take your dog to the vet on Tuesday when they are open and they can see what it is. I totally understand your concern. You will soon get to the bottom of it.
    Forever in my heart - Sweet gentle Moby - lover of belly rubs, bacon, and Barbara 9-10-2001 to 11-2-2015

i'd be concerned about the speed at which its increasing in size. in my experience (limited, but thinking of all creatures, not just canines) the only things that increase that much in size in that time frame are bites and absesses. even absesses tend to not increase that quickly, and usually feel quite warm to the touch compared to surrounding skin. have you considered giving benedryl? there is a link somewhere here on the board for the dosage per body weight. it wont hurt and could help.

and don't knock yourself about this, if its increasing this fast, it wasn't even there shortly before your DH found it!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte K. View Post
    Is it free moving, as though you could almost pick up the lump if it were not held down by skin? If so, it might just be a benign fatty tumor, a lipoma. If it is a lymph gland that is up, that is more concerning. If it were a salivary gland, I would think you would see some signs such as gingerly eating or you might smell very bad breath. Obviously, I am just going by experience and not sure where the lump is. If you are that worried, go by your gut on this. If it is getting larger overnight, a vet visit could be warranted sooner rather than later. I would want an abscess seen before the infection goes systemic. Let us know.
    She does sort of have bad breath. She's also drooling. But with labs, those observations are sort of a question of how many deviations are we from the mean, right? Also I don't ordinarily spend that much time with her head and neck in my lap. So, is it her normal and am I just now aware of it? I can palpate the margins all around, and they are almost perfectly round (maybe 3.5 " in diameter) ... but I can't get it elevated on my fingertips and away from the underlying tissues.

If I even think she's worse tomorrow, we'll head for the emergency vet. (Why did I buy that expensive insurance if not for this?)

Hell's bells... RD is also licking her wound and there is a spot that might be a little weepy (in spite of ingenious t-shirt/rubber-band designs on my part) so I may load them both up and go.

You are all in our thoughts and prayers. Keep Rocket from licking and from being licked.

You can also check in, then maybe keep them in the car while you wait, having given your cell phone to the receptionist after she has done triage.

Senior Dog
    Best of luck - with something that fast growing I’d want to be seen ASAP, although the fact it is growing that fast seems to argue against cancer to me, and more towards something like an abscess.

Sending good thoughts your way.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

I would take her in. It sounds like fluid is draining somewhere it shouldn't go and it could burst or become infected. At this point, it probably just needs to be drained and antibiotics administered.

All good thoughts.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (05-24-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos