Hug your dog tonight and thank God for him/her

So I've had a busy weekend with 2 trips to the emergency vet with two different dogs. One was a big abscess. The other (tonight) was Rocket Dog with bloody drainage coming out of her incision (she was spayed on Friday.) Naturally, I was feeling pitiful about the inconvenience, the expense, the lack of sleep and so on. But then within 10 minutes 2 dogs came rolling in, near death. One was a Golden in his owner's arms, flaccid, bleeding from his rectum, post-seizure. The tech told me the dog would probably not make it. Then another car rolled up and two Pet-Resort workers came in with a large husky-looking dog. He'd gotten lethargic, they loaded him into the car for the 30 minute drive to the emergency vet, during which time he went into respiratory arrest. The second worker was breathing him half the way in. I don't know if that dog made it.

So, that sure put my minor anxieties in stark perspective. Shortly after those two dogs came in, I was walking a crazy, silly lab to the car with instructions to give her some pills and keep her quiet.

Be grateful for your dogs this weekend. I am. (Even if one of them ate half the peach cobbler I baked!!!!)

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (05-26-2015), Doreen Davis (05-27-2015), doubledip1 (05-28-2015), Maxx&Emma (05-26-2015), Meeps83 (05-26-2015), POPTOP (05-26-2015), Scoutpout (05-26-2015)

Geez, that's scary! I've been to the e-vet a few times with my dogs but I've thankfully never seen any true emergencies roll in. Glad RD is OK!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Glad your two are ok. Give them a good talking to, tell them to never do that again, while you are hugging them.

The whole clinic was in tears when I went in one day. No emergencies, just the widow of a recently deceased man who wanted their two elderly Labs euthanized. They were 12 but relatively healthy. Jet was 12 herself at the time, it had me in tears too. I never asked, didn't want to know the outcome.

I am sorry you had 2 needing emergency help, thank goodness they are ok. I hate that you had to witness 2 horrible events, it sure puts things in perspective, unfortunately. Thank you for the reminder to hug our dogs, it never hurts to give them an extra one!
    I did laugh at the payback you got, can't say I blame the helper!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

So glad all turned out OK for you and the pups. You never know.

Since all our seniors seen to plan emergencies at night or hours our vet is closed, am very familiar with the local e-vet. While waiting, have seen too many cases of pets who have not made it due to illness or injury.

You're so right. Never miss a chance to hug your furkids.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

7. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Sandra (05-26-2015)

It's now official! I am the Compress Queen of the Universe!!!

I took RD to my vet for follow-up. She was sporting the inflatable collar I'd bought at PetSmart over the weekend. (Gave up on the T-shirts.) She was still obviously able to contort herself around (note picture, see long body) and get to her incision (though to do it, I think she had to put one rear leg over her head and hook it around the contralateral ear!) The drainage is now looking purulent and she is running a low grade fever in spite of being on NSAIDs.

So, here's the treatment plan: (1) they threw some staples on the part of the incision that was still closed, to keep it that way, and left an opening for drainage. (2) they put a HUGE E-collar on her on top of the inflatable collar. (3) I am to continue NSAIDs and antibiotics. (4) They gave me some tranquilizers. Unfortunately they're for the dog. Then (5) they told me to put compresses on the wound 3 times a day. Okee Dokee. Who is going to hold her down for this? She is freaked out about the E-collar and isn't sure how to locomote around. This extends to not being sure how to lay down... she can't see the floor. So, it was somewhat of a wrestling match with each increment closer to the floor getting rewarded with a cookie.

I have a system: 5 clean wash cloths dampened and into the microwave for 2 minutes. Then two heating pads on high, place cloths between, heating pads and cover all this with a thick towel. Cup of goodies on counter top. Wrestle dog and reward as appropriate. Place my leg over dog's body. Compress on incision, hold in place with right hand, grab cookie and feed dog with left hand. Repeat and replace compresses x 5.

I do this with the HUGE abscess on Bridget's neck also, three times daily. But she is a piece of cake. She lays down with her head on my lap and acts like she's getting a spa treatment.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

barry581 (05-26-2015)

I think it is time to either open a bottle of wine or call your own Dr for some xanax! I am not sure what made me laugh harder, your description of her contortions or your inventive compress treatments. Hopefully she will quickly figure out the treatments are a good thing with the extra goodies!
    Sending good thoughts your nursing duties do their job very quickly.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos