Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hint On De-Skunking

DD's dog got skunked day before yesterday. Other than having to bathe Nicky three times in the hydrogen peroxide, Dawn soap, and baking soda, she had carpets to clean, bedding to wash, etc.

One thing she did discover. She put Nicky in his crate while she was getting his bath ready. Now the plastic pan in the crate is holding the odor of the skunk and nothing is taking it out. She is getting a new crate although all she needs is the new pan. Never bad having an extra crate around.

If you must use a crate to contain your dog after being skunked, take the plastic pan out and put down towels/blanket, something you can wash. I assume a metal pan would not be a problem.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Maxx&Emma (05-26-2015), Sandra (05-26-2015)

makes sense, but who would have thought about that at the time! yikes...

That is a really good idea, thanks for passing it on. Out of curiosity I wonder if Natures Miracle would help at all?

I hope I never have to find out, lol!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

I was able to get a replacement tray for our crate when Chase ripped through the one in his crate as a puppy. I got it from Drs Foster and Smith in case she wants to look into getting one. Drs. Foster & Smith Polyethylene Cage Tray
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

DD was going to toss the perfectly good crate because of the pan. I told her not to. She can get a replacement pan as Smarkrock said. Before that, I'm going to give a go at deskunking it, either Nature's Miracle or Clorox and outside in the sun on a hot windy day. Too many rescues in need of a perfectly good crate.

She has been using Nature's Miracle on the carpet, etc and it has helped.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Products made specifically for skunk might do a better job. I use SKUNK-OFF® It works better than anything else I've tried. I wonder if the plastic tray has minute scratches in it that are holding odour in? Like plastic food dishes get scratched and harbour bacteria? So it might need to soak in something for a bit? Outside in the hot sun should help too.

We had a horrible incident in our home about 10 years back where a skunk died in a space under our breezeway and released its scent as it was decomposing. We were displaced from our house for 3 weeks while it was being professionally remediated. A company had to come in and clean with a special solution for skunks. It was like how your house gets cleaned after a fire. There were still things we couldn't get the odor out of. We had to toss bathroom rugs with rubber backing. Even after numerous washes, the smell lingered. We had to toss our toothbrushes because the rubber on the handles absorbed the smell. There were some kitchen utensils where the handle absorbed the smell. Running them through the dishwasher wouldn't get rid of it. Even now many years later if we get a lot of rain, you get a faint whiff of skunk. Personally, I would toss the crate pan and buy a new one. It's definitely not worth the effort to save it !
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
    We had a horrible incident in our home about 10 years back where a skunk died in a space under our breezeway and released its scent as it was decomposing. We were displaced from our house for 3 weeks while it was being professionally remediated. A company had to come in and clean with a special solution for skunks. It was like how your house gets cleaned after a fire. There were still things we couldn't get the odor out of. We had to toss bathroom rugs with rubber backing. Even after numerous washes, the smell lingered. We had to toss our toothbrushes because the rubber on the handles absorbed the smell. There were some kitchen utensils where the handle absorbed the smell. Running them through the dishwasher wouldn't get rid of it. Even now many years later if we get a lot of rain, you get a faint whiff of skunk. Personally, I would toss the crate pan and buy a new one. It's definitely not worth the effort to save it !
    Oh WOW!

I'm going to give the pan a try but if it does not work, order a new pan.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Skunk odor is strange. You think you got rid of it then the smell comes back seemingly out of nowhere. I would try a product like Snowshoe suggests made specifically for skunk odor. You would probably have the best luck with something like that. I really, really hate skunks and thank my lucky stars I've never had to deal with that smell on my dogs!
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
    Skunk odor is strange. You think you got rid of it then the smell comes back seemingly out of nowhere. I would try a product like Snowshoe suggests made specifically for skunk odor. You would probably have the best luck with something like that. I really, really hate skunks and thank my lucky stars I've never had to deal with that smell on my dogs!
    Luckily, with dogs, hair sheds and skin replenishes too so the odour does eventually disappear. "Eventually" sometimes taking up to a year, though I've not noticed it after about 6 months.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos