Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey new members

Hey new members

as you continue to read posts here I invite you to pay attention to the clique;
    here's how it works; first post by clique member: all dogs have three legs,
    2nd: I agree,
    3rd: I agree completely with #1,
    4th: agree completely with the above posts.
    etc.
    after a bit you'll see it all by yourself if you pay attention.
    now, understand you're invited to post of course, just make sure you listen when the clique answers. you have no experience, knowledge or common sense, that's why they're here, to keep you straight.

clique-
    a small group of people, with shared interests or other features in common, who spend time together and do not readily allow others to join them.

There's a way to ignore certain posters if you are not interested in seeing what they have to say. There is a wide range of experience among new members and it must feel to some that they have to earn the right to offer advice. Cliques, know-it-all members? There's probably no site like this you'll find that doesn't have some of that. This can be a great place to ask questions, give and receive support. Some threads can get a little rough but I hope it doesn't chase you or other new members away.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

I don't get it.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

BaconsMom (06-01-2015), Dallas dawg (06-01-2015), LucyTudeOn4Feet (06-02-2015)

It's just like any other random group of people. Everyone has an opinion. There's a lot of good information here though.

Sounds like you have a problem with some members. Not sure if this is gonna help anything.
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WhoopsaDaisy For This Useful Post:

arentspowell (05-31-2015), Maxx&Emma (06-01-2015), Tanya (06-04-2015), windycanyon (06-01-2015)

Senior Dog
    What's your real agenda here?

I'd imagine that most of the folks who post "I agree" replies are reinforcing what they consider to be the importance of the information/opinion. You see a lot of people who seem to disregard any reply that isn't exactly what they want to hear (e.g., go to the vet) and so perhaps a good number of similar replies might make a difference...so the tendency is to repeat the reply regardless of the reaction (if any) of the OP.

When I was new here I really appreciated the "agrees" as they let me know the first comment wasn't an isolated experience or opinion.

LOL, I have to wonder at your choice of example. I've never seen a dog with fewer than three legs in real life. I've seen some on Youtube on the internet with only two legs that work.

It's exciting to think that I may be part of a clique! I've always wanted to be one of the cool kids.

In all seriousness, I think it is important for new people to know that you have the opportunity to have access to seek advice from some very seasoned and knowledgeable pet owners, trainers, breeders, etc. Occasionally, people don't get the answer that they were expecting/wanting and they get bent out of shape. That doesn't negate the good advice they have been offered by many people. I think another thing to remember is not to ask questions to which you really don't want an honest answer to. A "my puppy is sick and lethargic" will undoubtedly be answered with a "take her to the vet!" and a "my dog jumps and bites and does everything wrong" will be met with a "you need to go to training".

If you feel like other newbies aren't getting the advice and answers that you would like to have, offer up some advice of your own. Getting poop in your pants and posting a passive-aggressive message isn't as helpful as you might think it is.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laura For This Useful Post:

Doreen Davis (06-02-2015), Maxx&Emma (06-01-2015)

I've been on this board long enough. You don't like it? Don't post!

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

arentspowell (06-02-2015), BaconsMom (06-01-2015), barry581 (06-01-2015), Dallas dawg (06-01-2015), Doreen Davis (06-02-2015), Jollymolly (06-01-2015), Maxx&Emma (06-01-2015), Snowshoe (06-01-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
    I've been on this board long enough. You don't like it? Don't post!
    see #1

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos