House Broken

Umbrella Insurance Policy

Does anyone have experience with umbrella insurance policies? We have a young family staying with us while they get on their feet. We were able to put the Dad on our car insurance policy while he is temporarily driving one of our cars. The insurance company suggested we increase our liability or convert to an umbrella policy. I am thinking an added benefit to an umbrella policy is that it could also cover our dogs. We have 1 Lab and 2 Newfoundlands which = 300 lbs of dog. I have never thought about them needing liability insurance but when I think about one of our house guests leaving a gate open and 300 pounds of dog rushing out and possibly knocking an older person down while they are chasing a squirrel or cat it kind of scares me a little bit. Does anyone care specific insurance to cover their dogs?

I am not sure about the insurance but wanted to suggest a padlock on your gate to keep all the dogs safe. When I think of an open gate and dogs loose I think of them possibly being lost, stolen or hit by a car.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

House Broken
    That is a great idea. It sure is a lot cheaper than insurance. Until we had this family move in - it was never necessary. We kid proofed the house but neglected to kid proof the yard!

A practical, at home safeguard or insurance would be a double gate, one or both with an automatic latch. Add a fenced area within the fence at the area that concerns you, in effect. I cannot answer about buying insurance.

I also padlock backyard gates.

Quote Originally Posted by shelly View Post
    That is a great idea. It sure is a lot cheaper than insurance. Until we had this family move in - it was never necessary. We kid proofed the house but neglected to kid proof the yard!
    Absolutely! It really is a good idea anyway to keep your crew safe. It was definitely something I worried about when my kids were little. I don't even let my dogs outside alone anymore but I don't have kids at home to distract me any more or other people that could let my dogs out.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Yes, I have an umbrella policy. For only ~$118/yr, I am well covered in the event a dog would knock over a guest or whatever.... I run a consulting business here, so I was completely above board w/ my agent w/ regard to the dogs etc. I have business policy as well, but needed to be sure they knew about the dogs.
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

Back in 2008, I was hit by a car while riding my bicycle. The driver of the car had no insurance. My medical bills were over $80K. I carried PIP of $100K, and Uninsured Motorist of $100k. My insurance company settled with me at the policy limits. After that experience, I increased my auto limits to $250K liability and $250K uninsured motorist, and I also carry a $1Million umbrella policy that kicks in for an auto or homeowners claims.

I look at it like this, a broken arm will cost about $20K. A catastrophic injury way, way more than that. Two nights in the hospital for my bicycle accident cost $17k. Which did not include the docs, imagining, meds, etc. It was only for the room. And that was 7 years ago, can't imagine what it costs now.

I look at it this way, the more you have, the more you have to protect. Once the policy limits are exhausted, they come after your assets.

We have always carried umbrella liability. I think it's $2M for $320 a year right now. The thing that scared me the most was when our neighbors told the boarding school for autistic kids that they could conduct horseback riding lessons on both of our properties. We put a stop to that real quick but we have to accept the fact that someone could be running around back there (four acres) and we won't know.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos