Horrible experience at the vet.

Fran has had a cyst for a couple of years. We followed the vet's advice and left it alone but it got bigger and at her annual exam last Thursday, the vet tried to drain it but it's hard and there was very little fluid. We discussed having surgery to remove it pending blood work which came back great on Friday. Then on Saturday, the drain site became infected and we had to go to the e-vet once then again on Sunday when the cyst burst and horrible stuff came out of it. Then it was too inflamed to do surgery right away so we kept our surgery date for next Friday.

But we're the kind of people who go in every time we have any kind of concern and the cyst looks just terrible in spite of the meds, regular cleanings and warm compresses.

We went back to the e-vet tonight when it ruptured in another spot and waited and waited. Two hours went by. Finally we heard the e-vet in the exam room next to us. The walls are paper thin and we heard everything.

The woman's Chihuahua was attacked by a larger dog in her household. The larger dog had taken the Chi's entire head in its mouth and bitten down. The Chi could have skull fractures and will most likely lose an eye. The e-vet explained the situation and that the law required that the other dog be quarantined for ten days even though he was up on his shots. The e-vet described the possibilities and treatments for the Chi and the woman asked questions but you could tell that she wasn't really taking anything seriously. At the end, she said, "So he can't come home tonight?" and the e-vet said no. He had to stay for at least 24 hours. The woman asked if the Chi couldn't be left in a cage in a back room. The e-vet said no, that wasn't going to take care of it. Then the e-vet said, "You need to take care of this." After she left, the woman got on the phone and explained to someone that the other dog would have to be quarantined as if that was inconvenient then said something about someone giving her an estimate. Not one mention of the injured dog.

The e-vet came into our room next. She apologized for the long wait and I said that we completely understood, pointed at the wall and told her that we heard all of that. Then I pointed at Fran and said, "We didn't do this. It just happened. We would never ever leave one of our dogs like this." I just couldn't help myself. I felt like apologizing for all of mankind at that point. She reassured me that we were doing everything right and sent us home.

Can you imagine? Let's just put the dog with a potentially fractured skull in a cage in a back room and see if his eye falls out.

I sad to say this does not surprise me at all. Just the crap I see go on with dogs in my neighborhood leads me to believe the average dog owner really should not have a dog.

Yes, I've seen something similar, only they brought their unconcious (fell from a height) 4 pound young dog home and put it into its bed to see if it was still alive in the morning rather than pay for overnight care at the e-vet. And it wasn't a matter of not having the money, just how they chose (not) to spend it.

So sad. That poor Chi; doesn't sound like it has much of a chance. It may recover medically but what about the care at home.

Since our guys seem to only have emergencies during nonvet hours, we know our e-vet well. Have seen some very sad situations but luckily have not encountered uncaring owners.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Working at vet I see it all the time sadly. We have a client who doesn't believe in euthanizing so basically we have to treat the animal even when there is no hope and they suffer. I can't stand it. I told my boss that I can't deal with him or words will be said.

That is so sad. I wish people that really did not care just would not have animals.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

No surprise here either. I've had to be the pleading one w/ the e-vet to just do what they need to do and stop asking me permission (and for my Visa card which I'd already given when I walked in the door).
    One night I was at ours and some folks were taking all the time w/ the vet for a small dog or cat in the next room. I had a stuck puppy, so time was of the essence. The folks told them they needed to go to their truck for his wallet and LEFT instead! Left their dog / cat there...abandoned it. I, otoh, had a $1500 C section and ended up losing 2 puppies due to the wait and one the next day. People suck.
    Last edited by windycanyon; 06-04-2015 at 01:50 AM.
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

Senior Dog
    i know why i like dogs better than many people.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bett For This Useful Post:

Meeps83 (06-05-2015)

How sad.

I think if in some parallel universe there are dogs making decisions and paying health care bills for people, they are far kinder and more generous and compassionate "owners."

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos