Real Retriever Moby and Barley's Mom's Avatar

Left him to sleep downstairs

So, I have just moved and tonight is the second night in our new house. The dogs and I are trying to adjust to more noise (Barley just freaked me out by throwing out a huge bark in his crate which he has never done at bedtime ) and Moby came up the stairs a few hours earlier to sleep, then came down for water and fell down the stairs which completely upset and unsettled me. Clearly, I now need to get carpet runners but do you think I should make him sleep downstairs? I have been keeping his harness on him and helping him down. Tonight after the fall, he fell asleep on his dog bed and I took Barley upstairs, closed the door and left him there because he seemed more comfortable than last night and I did not want him to confront the stairs again. I feel guilty. Thoughts? I feel it may be for his own good but he always wants to be with me as well...
    Forever in my heart - Sweet gentle Moby - lover of belly rubs, bacon, and Barbara 9-10-2001 to 11-2-2015

Senior Dog
    Oh, poor baby. If he tends to get up at night, putting him at risk of falling down the stairs on his own, I'd have him sleep downstairs. You might get a baby gate to keep him from trying to come up on his own. But if he usually sleeps through the night and you can help him up and down the stairs, I'd keep him with you.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Senior Dog
    I think it depends on how upset he gets at sleeping alone downstairs. It may bother you more than him, in which case I would just let him be. Mulder slept with us most of his life, but after we finally decided that hauling him up and down the stairs wasn’t a good idea, he was fine after 1-2 nights of being a little confused about why we were going up without him. If it is really distressing to him, then go ahead and help him up/down, but keep the stairs closed off so he can’t attempt them on his own.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos