Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

Older lab whimpers

I have a 12 year old lab who has in the last day started whimpering when he moves. I do not recall any falls or strenuous walk. He is an inside dog and doesn't get much exercise. He goes to the vet yearly and has not had any major problems...slight arthritis in hips and has a ligament strain that healed on its own.

He currently eats a senior food with glucosamine in it. He also get a glucosamine supplement.

He weighs 100lbs but is not overly fat. His stomach goes in and not out past his ribs.

I have have been home with him today and he has pretty much slept all day.

I was was thinking about trying to take him on a short walk everyday to get some excersises and just get him up and moving. Though maybe he is just getting stiff?

any thoughts?

Since the inset of the whimpering seems to be sudden and due to his age I personally would take him to the vet as soon as you can. I hope it is nothing serious.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maggie's Mom For This Useful Post:

ZRabbits (05-31-2014)

Senior Dog
    Welcome to the board.

The walking is probably a good idea....but not before he's seen by a vet. Sudden whimpering...especially with age, I think....is something to be vetted.

Much luck that it's not something serious.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

ZRabbits (05-31-2014)

I agree with a visit to the Vet. But no exercises or walks till you know why he is whimpering. You will feel horrible if what you do turns out to be the wrong thing. And it could be many things. Here's hoping it's nothing though.

ETA: I'm reading your board name as Please be a man. Is that what I'm supposed to read?
    Last edited by Snowshoe; 05-31-2014 at 05:04 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

ZRabbits (05-31-2014)

I agree, a vet visit might be in order. If you haven't done so, he should have Senior bloodwork done. Vets sometimes don't offer this unless you ask for it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

ZRabbits (05-31-2014)

Puppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    I agree with a visit to the Vet. But no exercises or walks till you know why he is whimpering. You will feel horrible if what you do turns out to be the wrong thing. And it could be many things. Here's hoping it's nothing though.

ETA: I'm reading your board name as Please be a man. Is that what I'm supposed to read?

Haha. No just combo of initials and last name.

Thanks for for the advice. I'm going to try to get him moving and hope he's better by Monday.

Agree, a check by the vet. We home seniors and while they get slower walking/getting up, whimpering is not a good sign.

Please keep us updated.

Best Friend Retriever Polly Pipkin's Avatar
    Since the whimpering is new, it is something to have your vet check out, as everyone else has said. Hoping it's nothing too serious so he feels better soon! I'd also ask your vet how much walking he should be doing, especially if he isn't used to too much exercise.
    Hidden Content Katy & Polly

Hidden Content

Duchess Jan. 31, 2000 - Dec. 18, 2011, Always in our hearts

Puppy
    Update....

i took him him to the emergency vet tonight as we were worried.

The he vet there said he had extreme arthritis in his rear hips and knees. She could hear the bone and bone in the knees. I knew he had arthritis but it must have progressed since his last check up.

she gave him novox(anti inflammatory) and tramadol(pain). To give relief.

Will follow low up with the regular vet.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Psbeaman For This Useful Post:

bearbuddymarie (06-01-2014), Maggie's Mom (06-01-2014), MikeLynn (06-01-2014), POPTOP (06-01-2014), Snowshoe (06-01-2014), SunDance (06-01-2014), ZRabbits (06-01-2014)

Thank you for the update. Know what you're talking about; Lynn had bilateral hip arthritis and we started meds (an NSAID for the inflammation and pain relief and some supplements - chondroitin, glucosamine, MSM) when she was 13. It really helped a lot. Sending good thoughts for your boy to get better soon.
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos