Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bladder and tummy upset: natural products to help

Hi all

I have a 6 month old puppy who has had diarrhea and frequent urination on and off for 3 months. She is currently on Canidea grain free for puppy and is doing well in that at long last is gaining weight. Her stool keeps form but is soft and a bit smelly. The kibble has pre and probiotics but I was thinking of adding some yohurt with probiotics as well. I was also thinking of slowly introducing physcillum husks to help firm up her stool.

She has been to the Vet several times over her frequent urination. One test revealed blood and protein and was on antibiotics. The second test which was last week showed white cells, crystals like what a bladder stone is made of and her PH was abnormal. They said she had cystitis. I researched it a bit and either apple cider vinegar or cranberry capsules can help the bladder. I was thinking of adding half a capsule once a day to her meal.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Can't say about the urinary issues, but have you had a fecal done on her? Giardia causes these symptoms off and on and can be difficult to diagnose. One of my dogs had frequent diarrehea on a regular basis, like every 4-6 weeks. It stunk bad. He never tested positive for anything, but the symptoms were there, so we treated him. That was almost a year ago and he's been fine since (knock on wood). This is a fairly common story.

Senior Dog
    From my experience, too much probiotic...as well as any additional prebiotic...can cause stinky soft stools. I swore by just yogurt for years. I now have my two on NutriSource Grain Free varieties...with some pre/probiotic added (but who knows how much actually survives the manufacturing)...with a Tbsp. of yogurt in one meal. My point is that perhaps the Canidae has too much pre/pro or a type your girl might not be able to handle. I'm not saying that I recommend NSGF for your girl....not sure it's meant for puppies, you could check with the company...but that if the check for Giardia rules that out, you might want to consider another food. Perhaps one without pre/pro at all and then add your yogurt. I always gave yogurt, even with older puppies, although there are some who swear that it's too much calcium for a growing pup. I never considered a Tbsp./day to be too much.

I absolutely wouldn't use a yogurt with additional probiotics added. I use plain non-fat Dannon...have for years.

Psyllium can create soft stools in some cases...that's not something I'd do at this point...you really need to find out what's causing them in the first place.

You're contemplating adding an awful lot of things at one time. That's really never a good idea...you won't know what's causing an additional problem if one surfaces.

What did the breeder feed?

I would definitely try the cranberry capsules, fruit concentrate not juice concentrate. There is nothing in them that can cause problems.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

patdog (06-07-2015)

Her diet has been changed 4 times under the advisement of professionals. She was on Science Diet for large puppies. The only time she was peeing and pooping normally was when a Dog Naturopath put her on a raw diet with supplements but the Vet was totally against it. The breeder hasn't been much help and told me to keep up the worming and gradually introduce new kibble. They said whatever is going on is out of their field and I will need a Vet. I like your advice Sundance and will go and get a plain yohurt and not add the physcillum husks just yet.

The food that you are feeding, in addition to being made by Diamond, has a LOT of legumes. Legumes are the third and fourth ingredients. Please do not add fiber. Beans, beans, beans, the more you eat, etc. . . . . and legumes are a less digestible carb and inferior protein source than meat and rice, for example. Do not overdo the yogurt or other calcium supplements, or next we will hear about joint problems.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlotte K. For This Useful Post:

bett (06-15-2015), patdog (06-08-2015)

Everyone who has responded to my thread have been very helpful and I'm using the advice you have all given.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patdog For This Useful Post:

Maxx&Emma (06-08-2015), SunDance (06-08-2015)

Senior Dog
    Sweet puppy...good luck with your next tweak to her diet.

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    The only time she was peeing and pooping normally was when a Dog Naturopath put her on a raw diet with supplements but the Vet was totally against it.
    I think you solved your own problem with the statement above. Most vets are against RAW feeding, as they'd rather sell you the high priced Science Diet or Royal Canin, which of course gives them perks.
    Honestly, I'd seriously consider putting her back on RAW.
    Hidden Content
    Abby
    ​Decisions, decisions, decisions

Hidden Content

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Cheryl Zuccaro

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos