Thread: Kibble size?

Kibble size?

I don't know if I'm old school, but years ago it seems kibble was larger, and by being larger dogs had the actually chew the kibble which helped to keep their teeth clean.

Now-a-days the kibble is so small, there seems to be more inhaling than chewing; at least with our Lab who acts like every meal is the last one he'll see for a week.

We feed Fromm 4-Star, and the kibble is really small in some of the varieties.

Anyway, just wondering how many of you guys have thought about kibble size and dental care.

Marc

Feed Fromm too. You're right, it's more inhale and swallow than chew.

That's why I find a favorite chew toy a help. Unfortunately, Mardi will not use them. Archie has his stuffies and essentially cleans and flosses his teeth regularly. Makes for yucky toys that get run through the washer regularly.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Senior Dog
    The first time I had to think about it was with these two. I used to feed California Natural Lamb & Rice (remember when that was a good food?) in regular size. Sunnie didn't like it and Danny actually couldn't manage the larger pieces. I had to switch to their small breed version until I stopped feeding it altogether.

I wonder if the smaller pieces we're seeing nowadays is so that the food can be eaten by any size dog without the manufacturer having to have two special runs for different sizes.

But even with the bigger pieces, none of my dogs ever chewed EXCEPT sometimes these two...even with those smaller pieces (NutriSource is what I'm feeding now and I actually found out what size the kibbles were before trying it).

Dogs don't end up chewing a whole lot of their food. The old thinking was that bigger pieces helped with dental health but thats not the case anymore. The key to good dental hygiene for dogs is chewing on bones/antlers often or brushing routinely.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

Labradorks (06-07-2015)

It's been proven a myth, kibble does nothing for dental hygiene.

Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
    It's been proven a myth, kibble does nothing for dental hygiene.
    Yeah,....I've been doing some reading since my OP, and see it's another one of those old wive's tales>

Thank you,.....marc

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos