Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Dog

Step One: Finding a Breeder

Starting the journey, already looking for help, lol

Jersey Skylands Labrador Retriever Club, Inc.

I see Snowco on the list of breeder members, but unfortunately there will not be litters until 2015? if I'm reading her website right.

I know that this journey will be a long one. As they say "good things come to those who wait". Just would like direction on any other breeders, those of this community would direct me to. Please if you could, pm your guidance. I'm looking to start with one, as I'm following the guidelines (thanks Sue) and only want to submit to one waiting list.

Thanks, any help will be truly appreciated!

KAZ

Have you tried the AKC website?
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Patty (snowco) might know someone who will have puppies available in your area.
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    —Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoopsaDaisy For This Useful Post:

ZRabbits (05-31-2014)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by kelsyg View Post
    Have you tried the AKC website?
    Yes, but trying to basically get involved with a club. With my rabbits, found it better to be involved with a club. More information to be had. People who love the breed.

Definitely would like to be involved with a club with our lab. Training, agility, hunting, activities that can be pursued. Not showing though. Looking for a companion to get us up and out, lol. But also be around people who know labs. I was even looking in for Lilly. See a few Lab-mix activities.

KAZ

Skylands is a good place to start. You may wish to change to a different colored Labrador, even though the dogs from a breeder of show dogs won't look like Lily. They will probably be chunkier and lower key, although they may all go through the land shark stage when cutting their teeth as little pups. If you don't find what you want, or want to stick with black, there is another club in NJ, with some more southern NJ members. I see that a breeder close to you geographically is expecting pups now, and the sire is also in central NJ.
    WELCOME TO MID-JERSEY LABRADOR RETRIEVER CLUB, INC

There is also Keystone LRC in eastern PA. You may want to check out places to train your pup, starting with puppy kindergarten and moving on up through beginner and at least advanced beginner obedience. Look for things to occupy the pup's brain as well as the pup's body.

Then again, you may wish to take a breather for a while.

Good luck in your decisions.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlotte K. For This Useful Post:

ZRabbits (05-31-2014)

Are you willing to travel? I love my breeder and would buy from her again.. but she is not breeding but taking orders for the spring of 2015. She is wonderful and is a careful breeder. Let me know if you want more info and can send privately... Sophie's mom (Lia)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zookeepermom247 For This Useful Post:

ZRabbits (05-31-2014)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte K. View Post
    Skylands is a good place to start. You may wish to change to a different colored Labrador, even though the dogs from a breeder of show dogs won't look like Lily. They will probably be chunkier and lower key, although they may all go through the land shark stage when cutting their teeth as little pups. If you don't find what you want, or want to stick with black, there is another club in NJ, with some more southern NJ members. I see that a breeder close to you geographically is expecting pups now, and the sire is also in central NJ.
    WELCOME TO MID-JERSEY LABRADOR RETRIEVER CLUB, INC

There is also Keystone LRC in eastern PA. You may want to check out places to train your pup, starting with puppy kindergarten and moving on up through beginner and at least advanced beginner obedience. Look for things to occupy the pup's brain as well as the pup's body.

Then again, you may wish to take a breather for a while.

Good luck in your decisions.
    Thanks you so much for this advise. I guess I'm leaning towards black because of Lilly. Definitely know the breeder's lab will not look like Lilly. Am prepared for the land shark stage (growing new teeth does hurt) and so hoping for a lower key.

Thanks so much for the information on Keystone LRC and the puppy classes. Believe as well, the brain is just as important as the body.

Definitely taking a breather. Need to clear our heads first, because truly not good jumping to get a puppy right away. Truly haven't stopped grieving for Lilly.

Thanks again!

KAZ

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie's mom View Post
    Are you willing to travel? I love my breeder and would buy from her again.. but she is not breeding but taking orders for the spring of 2015. She is wonderful and is a careful breeder. Let me know if you want more info and can send privately... Sophie's mom (Lia)
    Thanks so much for your offer to exchange info where your lovely Sophie came from. Traveled for rabbits, but Florida is a bit too far for us for a pup. We are going to look closer to home. Would be better for us and the breeder to make the right decision for us and the pup.

KAZ

Yellow and Chocolate are good colors, too.

Classes: I hear Wonder Dogs in West Berlin would be good, but I have not been there. Also Pinelands K-9 club, with a different take on obedience, if they are still the same. At least one Lab breeder is a member of Pinelands and recommended Wonder Dogs, too.

Land shark stage can be rough, but that is when they learn more bite inhibition.
    Last edited by Charlotte K.; 06-01-2014 at 12:32 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlotte K. For This Useful Post:

ZRabbits (05-31-2014)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte K. View Post
    Yellow and Chocolate are good colors, too.

Classes: I hear Wonder Dogs in West Berling would be good, but I have not been there. Also Pinelands K-9 club, with a different take on obedience, if they are still the same. At least one Lab breeder is a member of Pinelands and recommended Wonder Dogs, too.

Land shark stage can be rough, but that is when they learn more bite inhibition.
    Love Yellow and Chocolate too. I'm doing the preliminary work and will sit down with my husband. He wants a Yellow. I would like Chocolate. Also future plans to add another lab.

Thanks again for the info on the classes. West Berlin isn't that far from us.

Regarding the land shark stage, definitely know the classes will help when that time comes.

KAZ

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos