Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Velcro

Real Retriever Moby and Barley's Mom's Avatar

Super Velcro

It is 100 degrees in Napa right now and I just shut my dogs inside and went outside to get away from them! I just moved into town from being out in the country and they have always been pretty "velcroey" especially Moby - but now it is crazy! I was on 2 acres before - and while they did not have the run of the land - they had a lot of it. So I am compensating by daily dog park trips - which they love - and which is actually better as Barley really can get his "ya yas" out and really run. Moby is the big problem - and he cannot help it. He is old - and getting a bit senile - and is incredibly restless unless I am sitting right next to him. The minute I get up - he gets up - and it is not easy for him to do that. The prednisone he is on is causing him to pant endlessly - unless he is totally at rest. He cannot go down the stairs to the bedroom - and can barely make it up them - so I literally have to either run up to my bedroom or put him outside - or put a chair in front of the steps. The panting drives me nuts when I am working and trying to focus - I just want him away from me - and I LOVE him so so so much. I am not someone who sits much - so this is not good for me - or for them. I have Moby on tramadol, prednisone - and gabapantin- in addition to glucosamine and cholodin. At first I thought he was in pain - but it did not change when I fed him and gave him his pain meds. In fact, I wonder if he is still in pain - or if any of these medications are causing this extreme restlessness. Any ideas before I take a trip to the North Pole to escape the velcro?
    Forever in my heart - Sweet gentle Moby - lover of belly rubs, bacon, and Barbara 9-10-2001 to 11-2-2015

Can you get him off the prednisone?

Well - the prednisone is for another condition called masticatory muscle myositis. I think he needs to stay on it to decrease the inflammation in his jaw - because if he can no longer eat - well, you know. He has not finished his first bottle of the pills yet - so when they are about done - I plan to call the vet and see what the next plan will be. This is just hard - he has had many things wrong with him - but he is still enjoying life - loves his dog walks, dog park walks and his food. Things are NOT as they used to be for him - and recognize he is declining. Awful.
    Forever in my heart - Sweet gentle Moby - lover of belly rubs, bacon, and Barbara 9-10-2001 to 11-2-2015

Prednizone was my first thought too. That makes them act like this a lot. The panting and kind of not in their right mind and clingy. If it is needed then it's needed but it is one of those I try not to give unless needed. There is an alternate to prednizone that is lighter so it doesn't work as well but it doesn't have all the side effects, unfortunately I don't remember the name of it, it was a few years ago Hemi had it when Hemi had something less serious and I asked for an alternative. Maybe someone else does though that reads this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Prednizone was my first thought too. That makes them act like this a lot. The panting and kind of not in their right mind and clingy. If it is needed then it's needed but it is one of those I try not to give unless needed. There is an alternate to prednizone that is lighter so it doesn't work as well but it doesn't have all the side effects, unfortunately I don't remember the name of it, it was a few years ago Hemi had it when Hemi had something less serious and I asked for an alternative. Maybe someone else does though that reads this.
    I am super happy to hear you say it is the prednisone - because tonight I was just convinced he was staring at me to tell me that "it was the time." I will call the vet this week and see if I can get an alternative. I do think he is going to need a steroid - probably for the rest of his days...

Our vets said the panting could be a sign of pain when our guys got older. We used tramadol, gabapentin and Rimadyl and it kept our collie relatively pain free for a good long time. Prednisone "jazzes" all the systems up, hunger, thirst etc.

As for prednisone and corticosteroids in general, I believe, they also cause, at least in humans, mood swings from euphoria, anxiety to anger (source: my 20 year experience with prednisone for MS)
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLynn View Post
    As for prednisone and corticosteroids in general, I believe, they also cause, at least in humans, mood swings from euphoria, anxiety to anger (source: my 20 year experience with prednisone for MS)
    My mom was on it for a long time, I don't remember what for but she said while she was on it, she never really felt in her right mind either.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

MikeLynn (06-10-2015)

I went rogue yesterday and halved the dosage. Some of the behavior has lessened a bit. I had thought the panting was pain also - but there was no change with the panting right after he took pain meds - so I am certain the behavior is a result of the prednisone. I wish I could completely take him off of it - but I do think he needs it. The clingy part has not really changed...

Another human experience, it makes me feel like I want to jump out of my skin, it is an awful feeling. Between the meds and your recent move I would imagine the poor guy is a bit stressed. Do you mind if I ask why he is on Prednisone?
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos