Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    House Broken

Looking for a right breeder?

(I apologize in advance if this breaks any forum rules, and if it does please remove this thread!)

I'll be looking to get a chocolate lab puppy in the near future (by May 2018 I'd like to have one so I can spend two months with it at home to potty train and teach them some commands/tricks), however I'm having a bit of a hard time looking for a good breeder. I'm not looking for a show dog or hunting dog, I'm just looking for a companion that can relax with me at home and my active lifestyle. I go hiking frequently and would like to take my dog with me (once they reach 18 months at least for the longer hikes) as well as some other outdoor activities. I've looked online on clubs and such to look for breeders and some seem really good, however I don't know for sure. Some of the breeders I look at charge more for a chocolate, which I was told was a bad deal since labs should be all the same price and you shouldn't pay may for one color over another. Also, I don't mean to sound stingy when I say this, but I don't want to try to spend more than $900-1000. I want to save as much money for emergency vet funds and I rather not spend a huge chunk on the overall cost. I'm not looking for a champion show dog so I would hope they won't be that expensive.

These are some things I'm looking for:
    -Must be a chocolate
    -Parents OFA & CERF certified
    -Heart Health Tested (EIC is a bonus but not needed)
    -Puppies vaccinated, dew clawed removed, wormed
    -I prefer the American version of the lab, much sleeker imo

And if you're wondering why I'm dead set on a chocolate lab, it's because I had my first positive experience with one as a kid. My family didn't own any pets and I had, on two separate occasions, a GSD bite me and a poodle (which is terrifying at 3 years old haha). But my neighbor's choc lab was what got me to liking dogs and I'd like to have one.

I know I'm asking for it way in advance and things could change, but I'd like to build up a conversation with the breeder to make sure I have everything set and if they will be planning to breeding during that time period.

you will need to post some more, there is a fun and games section you can quickly get lots of post in, because you need 10 posts I think to recieve a PM. As per the forum rules we cannot name breeders publically only via PM.

OFA and CERF are not the only clearances, ask for hips, elbows, eyes, heart, eic and cmn. See here for more info: https://www.lab-retriever.net/board/d...nces-labs.html

I think very few breeders remove dew claws - it's best to leave them on.

see this thread:
    https://www.lab-retriever.net/board/f...ers-puppy.html\

DO NOT cut corners on price. not saying to go wtih the most expensive breeder but getting a puppy from a breeder is not hte place to start nit picking on price and cutting corners - that comes at the great risk of the health and temperment of your puppy and long term cost of the dog. Price is regional - 900-1500 or more depending on area.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (06-09-2015)

Go through your local Lab club, they will be able to guide you to what you want. They have volunteers/board members who are committed to helping people find the right breeder. As far as cost, it varies per area, I have found.

and yes if they charge a different price for puppies within the same litter walk away - they all cost the same amount to breed!

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    Go through your local Lab club, they will be able to guide you to what you want. They have volunteers/board members who are committed to helping people find the right breeder. As far as cost, it varies per area, I have found.
    this and look at retriever/hunt clubs in your area. or field groups. go out and meet puppies. DO ask about the temperment and daily needs of their dogs, SOME lines of field dogs (not all but some) will have higher DAILY needs for exercise (off leash free play) and mental exercise - as they were bred to perform and work in the field (thoguh should not be over the top crazy either)

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    you will need to post some more, there is a fun and games section you can quickly get lots of post in, because you need 10 posts I think to recieve a PM. As per the forum rules we cannot name breeders publically only via PM.

OFA and CERF are not the only clearances, ask for hips, elbows, eyes, heart, eic and cmn. See here for more info: https://www.lab-retriever.net/board/d...nces-labs.html

I think very few breeders remove dew claws - it's best to leave them on.

see this thread:
    https://www.lab-retriever.net/board/f...ers-puppy.html\

DO NOT cut corners on price. not saying to go wtih the most expensive breeder but getting a puppy from a breeder is not hte place to start nit picking on price and cutting corners - that comes at the great risk of the health and temperment of your puppy and long term cost of the dog. Price is regional - 900-1500 or more depending on area.
    Okay will do! Didn't know that, I thought it was a bit strange to not have PM's haha

I didn't mean to sound like I was cutting corners or anything, I apologize if it sounded like I did. I was told before from quite a few people that I shouldn't have to pay more than that since I'm not looking for a show/hunting dog. They said since I don't need one to be champion sired, it'll be a bit cheaper. I apologize once again!

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    Okay thanks! I'll look into it!

but you want a dog that is healthy and of good tempermernt right? well those take the same "work" and "effort" as the dogs that is a "champion". If you want a dog that has the correct structure and alb temperment you want the parents to prove they have that - by showing them or doing something like hunt/field/other. Doesn't have to be conformation but something.
    I don’t want a show dog; I just want a pet. | Ruffly Speaking

At a minimum ensure ALL clerances are done, otherwise it's a gamble. the ONLY way to know the parents are clear and healthy is the tests. All of them.

A quality Lab in the Northeast could have a 1500-2000 price tag, not sure about the Midwest. EIC can be clear by parentage as well as testing... I personally don't mind if dam/sire is a carrier for EIC.

Look for your breeder, not a puppy.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (06-09-2015), Itstangy (07-28-2015), Tanya (06-09-2015)

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    but you want a dog that is healthy and of good tempermernt right? well those take the same "work" and "effort" as the dogs that is a "champion". If you want a dog that has the correct structure and alb temperment you want the parents to prove they have that - by showing them or doing something like hunt/field/other. Doesn't have to be conformation but something.
    I don’t want a show dog; I just want a pet. | Ruffly Speaking

At a minimum ensure ALL clerances are done, otherwise it's a gamble. the ONLY way to know the parents are clear and healthy is the tests. All of them.
    Gotcha, I don't mind spending more than. Thanks for explaining!

Quote Originally Posted by doubledip1 View Post
    A quality Lab in the Northeast could have a 1500-2000 price tag, not sure about the Midwest. EIC can be clear by parentage as well as testing... I personally don't mind if dam/sire is a carrier for EIC.

Look for your breeder, not a puppy.
    I've searched around the breeders online (for the midwest) and I've seen prices ranging from $600-1000 mainly. I've seen a few $1500-2500, mainly for 'silver' and 'fox red', but it wasn't that many.

Thanks for the replies!

Do you think it'll be difficult trying to locate a chocolate lab puppy?

Quote Originally Posted by Akamichi18 View Post
    Gotcha, I don't mind spending more than. Thanks for explaining!

I've searched around the breeders online (for the midwest) and I've seen prices ranging from $600-1000 mainly. I've seen a few $1500-2500, mainly for 'silver' and 'fox red', but it wasn't that many.

Thanks for the replies!

Do you think it'll be difficult trying to locate a chocolate lab puppy?
    Unbelievable that someone sells a dog based on color (even out of standard) for more than it would cost for a nearly perfect specimen, isn't it? This really tans my hide!

Anyway, think about what you want out of a dog. As Tanya mentioned, some of what you call the American Labs (field Labs) are pretty high octane and are bred specifically for competitive field trials and can be a bit much for someone looking for a companion. There are some breeders who do a good job of breeding moderate Labs that are correct to standard, but not overdoing it either way. There are extremes on both sides. A moderately bred dog would most likely fill your requirements in both looks, temperament, and lifestyle.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos