Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thunder shirt

Thunder shirt

Does anyone use a thunder Shirt? I am wondering if it would benefit Emma when we leave her kenneled during the day. Or would it be a bad idea to keep it on her when unsupervised?
    We went camping this past weekend and forgot to take her kennel because normally we don't leave the campsite or someone is always there to watch her. This time we had to run to town and left her in the camper alone. Puppy proofed everything but she knocked the curtain off and destroyed the mini blind and also reached up to grab the red, white, yellow cords for the TV/ DVD player and chewed off red and white. We were gone for maybe an hour in a half tops.
    She had a nice long run before we left too hoping she'd be wore out.
    "The dog was created specially for children, he is the God of frolic"
    -Henry Ward Beecher
    Hidden Content

I do use one for my Emma, she really stresses over thunder storms, fireworks, etc and it is very helpful for her. I do not have a problem with her being destructive and don't have to crate her, she is 10 years old though.

Have you had problems with your Emma being destructive when left alone before? How old is she?
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

EmmaJo11 (06-11-2015)

Some other fsters have used them successfully for anxious dogs. not sure it will help with destruction. You may want to try something like the CD"s "thru a dog's ear" paired with a pheremone collar. Or just stick to the crate

I used a thunder shirt a few times for Penny as she now reacts to fireworks in fear. She will often end up in my arms though so not sure if the shirt helps or just my giving her a big bear hug (I know I know there is a line of thought about "not encouraging fears" but it works!). I should actually try it to desensitize her to the dishwasher (the even monster!)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

EmmaJo11 (06-11-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    I do use one for my Emma, she really stresses over thunder storms, fireworks, etc and it is very helpful for her. I do not have a problem with her being destructive and don't have to crate her, she is 10 years old though.

Have you had problems with your Emma being destructive when left alone before? How old is she?
    Yes we have had problems with her being destructive in the past. She was a great pup from like 4 to 8 months of not being in a kennel and then one day shredded some card board boxes and ever since then it was hit or miss when we'd try to leave her out. She is now 4 years old.
    ETA: I also believe she pulls on the front wire panel of her kennel. It's a very sturdy metal one I got a long time ago, but it's bent in one spot and we've had to zip tie every corner. She's also destroyed a plastic kennel in the past. ��

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    Some other fsters have used them successfully for anxious dogs. not sure it will help with destruction. You may want to try something like the CD"s "thru a dog's ear" paired with a pheremone collar. Or just stick to the crate

I used a thunder shirt a few times for Penny as she now reacts to fireworks in fear. She will often end up in my arms though so not sure if the shirt helps or just my giving her a big bear hug (I know I know there is a line of thought about "not encouraging fears" but it works!). I should actually try it to desensitize her to the dishwasher (the even monster!)
    I ordered a new crate on Amazon a couple days ago so that way we can leave one down at the camper and keep her other at home. It's just kinda a bummer she is anxious. I would hate feeling that way. I wonder what we did to mess this poor pup up. Luckily she's fine any other time. What are the better brands of phermone collars?
    -Henry Ward Beecher
    Hidden Content

I think I am understanding you associate her anxiety with destructiveness. If that is the case it sure can not hurt to try a thunder shirt and a pheromone collar. I would absolutely experiment, if you remove just some of the anxiety and her behavior improves it is a win-win! I hope you are able to find something that works, I know how heartbreaking it is to watch a dog with anxiety.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

I am nto familiar with the different brands - the pheremone collar I tried just came from the vet. but NOT cheap. There are likely also some more holistic versions wtih oils/scents and bandanas.

i don't think it's a question of messing her up. stuff happens. she may just be uncomfortable at the cabin specifically (or does she do that at home too?) Heck out of the blue Penny started being INTENSELY fearful of the dishwaser! for over a year, no problem - then BAM! just completely terrified. She is now suddenly afraid of fire works as well (she was FINE perfectly FINE last year!). i don't think it's something *I* did. something must have happened innocently enough .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

EmmaJo11 (06-11-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    I think I am understanding you associate her anxiety with destructiveness. If that is the case it sure can not hurt to try a thunder shirt and a pheromone collar. I would absolutely experiment, if you remove just some of the anxiety and her behavior improves it is a win-win! I hope you are able to find something that works, I know how heartbreaking it is to watch a dog with anxiety.
    Yes I do. Thank you very much. I hope I can find something to help. I never really thought she had an issue until I told my coworker what she did at the camper and she mentioned anxiety. Then it clicked that yeah this poor dog probably is anxious and has been for a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    I am nto familiar with the different brands - the pheremone collar I tried just came from the vet. but NOT cheap. There are likely also some more holistic versions wtih oils/scents and bandanas.

i don't think it's a question of messing her up. stuff happens. she may just be uncomfortable at the cabin specifically (or does she do that at home too?) Heck out of the blue Penny started being INTENSELY fearful of the dishwaser! for over a year, no problem - then BAM! just completely terrified. She is now suddenly afraid of fire works as well (she was FINE perfectly FINE last year!). i don't think it's something *I* did. something must have happened innocently enough .
    I will do some googling. she is this way all the time. She's fine when we are home, but when we leave she's a little nuts. Sorry Penny is scared of stuff now.
    -Henry Ward Beecher
    Hidden Content

One other thing I will mention, when my Emma was younger we medicated with what the vet called "puppy prozac". I am sorry I don't remember exactly what it was, it was prescription. She was on it for about a year. The medication and a thunder shirt have improved her anxiety immensely. She is now 10 years old and a much happier girl.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

EmmaJo11 (06-11-2015)

We also used puppy prozac with the lab I grew up with. There were terrible terrible storms and flooding the summer when she was probably about 1 year old, and she was forever TERRIFIED of even the lightest rain storms after that. It was really hard and sad to watch. The puppy prozac the vet gave us helped a lot.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to zd262 For This Useful Post:

EmmaJo11 (06-11-2015)

Our Zo has extreme anxiety under certain circumstances. We love the thunder shirt on her along with Rescue Remedy and a few other supplements if necessary. We did learn early on though not to leave the shirt on her unsupervised. She caught it once on something (as I recall it was her kennel door) and we had to unhook her. It just seemed to us that she could do that on just about anything if we were away. I'm sure that the velcro is meant to come undone so that there isn't any serious harm but it didn't in her case and made us nervous. Homeopet has some anxiety solutions. Standard Process has Valerian Complex, Earth Calm works well and, again, Rescue Remedy is always good. We find that cycling her through these things in the event of emergency works better than just keeping her on one of them.

Best of luck.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

EmmaJo11 (06-12-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos