Team Trad In Training

Aye Mates,
    T'was quite warm most of the earlier part of the day and not conducive for the training of dogs. As time passed into early evening, a drop in temperature made for more tolerable and safe training temperatures so I put TRAD in the truck and we were off to a nice training grounds for running extended blind and marked retrieves.

Upon our arrival, I left TRAD crated with the fan running and water to his avail while I hauled two remote control wingers, his "PLACE" platform, and a number of canvas bumpers and Dokken training birds into the field. I made quick work of setting up the wingers for double marked retrieves and waited until after marks were trained on to do blind work (all of this on land). Set ups made, I went to the truck and got TRAD out and into an immediate SIT. I like the dogs I work with to expect a controlled SIT immediately upon hitting the ground for their own safe being in crowded areas or where there is potential traffic related danger. I then sent TRAD to "air out" before we got started. Business taken care of, I issued TRAD the "PLACE" command and he immediately jumped up on his platform and took a seat, his eyes scouring the field before us. I took a seat on a bumper bucket next to TRAD let out a "highball" on me duck call, and activated the "locate quacks" on the first winger. TRAD moved his head with pinpoint accuracy toward the series of synthesized quacks, I hit the launch button and the first mark (memory bird) flew in a high arc. I then activated the locate quacks of the next winger and kept close eye on TRAD as his intense focus zoomed in that direction. TRAD "locked on", I launched the "go bird" and waited with purposeful delay before sending TRAD by name to make the first pick up. Delay is a tool I use to build both steadyness and drive. I also keep the length of delay randomly variable so TRAD just knows he needs to wait until being sent rather than using his internal clock (we all know that dogs have one). "TRAD" I said with my usual volume for his send command, and me Lad was off like a torpedo shot from it's tube toward the "go bird". As TRAD made the pick up of the Dokken, I let out 3 peeps on me Acme 210 1/2 whistle and he was instantly on his way back to HEEL at me left side and to deliver the bird to me hand. I watched as his head moved to focus on the area of fall for the "memory bird" and once he was "dialed in" and I had again delayed for a reasonable length of time to build steadyness, "TRAD" , I sent him for the 2nd mark. Again, 3 peeps o' me whistle and he was incoming with a Dokken for another classic presentation to hand. A tad later, we had the impromptu opportunity to "honor" a Golden Retriever as he walked by us with his owner, I gave TRAD the "DOWN" command and he proned out and stayed as the other dog walked by at close range.

Throughout the session, we ran 3 series of varying double marked retrieves and then moved onto three "pattern blinds" which I used to increase his confidence on extra long blinds using orange bumpers. TRAD'S first two blinds werr lined beautifully and I had set one of the wingers to throw a "diversion bird" on his return of the third blind retrieve with TRAD making mark on it, but ignoring it and returning the blind to me. I then sent him to the diversion and he made quick pick up and delivery of that bird. All done??? NOT, we are running in the SHORELINE RETRIEVER CLUB AKC HUNT TEST SENIOR HUNTER stakes in three days and needed to squeeze in a bit o' water work. A pick up of all me equipment took about 10 minutes and another 10 minute drive had us at a great little pond to do water drills on. I again left TRAD crated in me truck and set up two Dokken birds on the land on the far side o' the water. Blinds in place, I let TRAD out, commanded him to "SIT" for safety, obedience, patience building, and to "set the tone of focus" for the cold blinds TRAD is about to run as "land - water -land" blinds of about 100 yards. TRAD was able to run both blinds with nice lines requiring minimal handling after the initial cast to the water.

All was ended on a upbeat note and we got home just before darkness set in for the evening. TRAD will sleep deeply tonight, and I am looking forward to Sunday for TRAD'S first run in an AKC SENIOR HUNTER stakes. On that note, we are doing an HRC double hunt test in the Seasoned Retriever stakes the following weekend in New Hampshire, and another AKC SENIOR HUNTER stakes the last weekend of the month. Tis madness I tell ye!!!

TTF CRAIGHORN KIFFIN TRAD JH

Enjoy ye retrievers and good training to ye all.

Slainte,
    Irishwhistler & TRAD
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

Nice ! Good luck with the trials.

wow thats a lot of good working to squeeze into an evening! and good luck with the upcoming trials
    the folks who have been coming over to my yard for what i've been calling "dead duck night" on Wed and Fri evenings are expecting a litter of pups at any time, so I somehow doubt Fri will happen, much to Scout;s dismay. and the Saturday training morning is off this weekend b/c the trainers have a 95th birthday party for one of their mum's. Last bird and running he did was a week ago last wednesday, we were at a dog show Fri Sat Sun and missed the friday dead duck night, and sat training. Instead have been working on "hold" with dumbell
    Your training sure sounds a lot more fun!

Through your description I could visualize you and TRAD working together to be successful. It always amazes me what a lab is capable of.

Thanks for taking us along on your training session.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by Scoutpout View Post
    wow thats a lot of good working to squeeze into an evening! and good luck with the upcoming trials
    the folks who have been coming over to my yard for what i've been calling "dead duck night" on Wed and Fri evenings are expecting a litter of pups at any time, so I somehow doubt Fri will happen, much to Scout;s dismay. and the Saturday training morning is off this weekend b/c the trainers have a 95th birthday party for one of their mum's. Last bird and running he did was a week ago last wednesday, we were at a dog show Fri Sat Sun and missed the friday dead duck
    night, and sat training. Instead have been working on "hold" with dumbell
    Your training sure sounds a lot more fun!
    Scoutpout,
    Thanks for ye comment. This is pretty much standard for meself and TRAD and few are the days that go by where we don't fit in some training. The wingers are grand for sessiions without birdboys to throw. Group training is also very nice when we can arrange it (especially so for the associated distractions provided, multiple persons to throw marks, and the opportunities for "honoring" other working dogs.

Ye "dead duck nights" sound like fun. Me best wishest to the birthday girl!

Slainte,
    Irishwhistler & TRAD
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    Through your description I could visualize you and TRAD working together to be successful. It always amazes me what a lab is capable of.

Thanks for taking us along on your training session.
    POPTOP,
    Glad ye could "join" us. These Labs are amazing dogs and are wonders to work with. I am truly blessed to work, train, and share companionship with TRAD every day.

Slainte,
    TEAM TRAD
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Sounds like you both had a great evening. Love reading your stories feel like I am right there too. Good luck to both of you this weekend and for your up and coming hunts.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

Isn't it cool to work with a good dog on the line when you are both "cooking"? I am more and more of the opinion that dogs never lie to their handlers. They have their way of saying... "I'm am on this like white on rice, chief! And "send me in coach!" I love it. My dogs are in the phase where they are teaching me how to listen to them.

Even when Bridget is giving me the jazz (exclusively on water) she's honest about it. She has her way of saying "You are so irrelevant to me right now. I think I'll just hit the shore here." I think if we get a chance to do some water work, we can come to a meeting of the minds.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos