Not Rocket Surgery

So there was this Curly-Coated Retriever...

Now... let me say, in this politically correct world, I know it's considered gauche to denigrate "the other". I understand and hope you're not going to say I'm being cruel. But, face it people, we have a fine breed in the Labrador. I'm prejudiced. OK? There. I said it. I'm a dog-bigot. I prefer labs.

OK, so this Curly Coat walks to the line (with the assistance of an experienced handler.) Simple mark. How simple was it? I'm glad you asked. See diagram.

-curly-coat-jpg

So, the handler sends the Curly Coat for the mark, and he sort of meanders out into the field, rather aimlessly BUT eventually, winds the bird. However, he simultaneously discerns that the bird is on the opposite side of the boulder. He puts his front paws up on the boulder and, sure enough... he sees the bird laying there. Then, it becomes clear, he cannot figure out what to do about the rock. You could tell he thought he should jump over it, but couldn't quite bring himself to do it. Could be risky. Might fall. Never know. Finally, after a lot of encouragement from the handler, the dog goes AROUND the rock, and picks up the bird and brings it back to the handler.

Just saying... when you need a dog to bring in the bird... get a Lab.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

windycanyon (06-12-2015)

Senior Dog
    I get it. We train with a lovely lady that has two Irish Water Spaniels. God bless her soul she has more patience than I would have. These dogs are not stupid but they play her like a cheap violin. They will dash out to a bird and then stand and look at her as if to say do really want me to pick it up. I got a kick out of your post as we have a training partner, who is old school, and when he lines the dog up he expects it to go straight no matter what is in its path. At one trial his dog went up and over a five foot hay bale, at another it went over a rock pile. In the second case the judges were really worried because he could have hurt himself. When they commented that they didn't think any dog would go over the rocks, his reply was "Then why did you put them on the line. If my dog got hurt I would have had to sue you". He was kidding but I bet those judges thought twice before putting an obstacle like that on the line to a mark or blind again.
    I too am glad I have labs.

I totally understand both of you.... LOL!!!! Though I have seen a few labs that made me just go "wow" (not in an impressed voice). I was kind of thinking oxygen deprivation in one case, it was that bad.
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

Yes... there are some labs who are not that in to retrieving birds. Might not even want to pick them up. But at the end of the day, if a lab had a rock between himself and something he wanted, I think that lab would figure out whether to go over the thing or around it.

Update: There are actually 2 CC's in our group and they are litter mates. The male is the slow learner. The female is showing some promise. And the owner had a little liver colored CC pup with her the other day. Really they are interesting dogs. Gotta hand it to the owner. She loves the breed and she's trying to build retrieving and hunting drive back into it. God bless her.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos