Thank God for AC.

We're headed for a sudden 94% humidity without rain at almost 90 F after an extremely cool spring. We don't have central air but a window unit evened out the living room for our older dogs.

I don't know who invented that but thank God for AC.

Senior Dog
    The older I get, the more I hate feeling sweaty and clammy...I couldn't agree more.

So hate to do without AC. It's been a very odd spring here; it's been up to 90 and humid to yesterday barely mid 50's. One creature comfort I would hate the dogs or us to do without.

Had the system serviced this spring which we do yearly and was surprised that one recommendation was that it may need replacing within the next few years. WHAT! We just got an entirely new system, ah, ah, dang it was that long ago. Time passes so fast it's almost 25 years. This may be a project we have to add to the basement redo.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Thanks God for AC indeed!
    I think of my GG grandparents raising 10 kids without electric,gas, running water, cars or any of our modern inventions I marvel.
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

You couldn't survive down here W/O AC it's been over 80% humidity since about April. Hot is hot no mater if there's humidity or not IMOP.
    Right now its 84deg F with 79% humidity dewpoint is 77Deg F which makes it feel like 94Deg F at 9:30 am.
    At the Bridge
    Pinks - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 12/30/10 - 5/12/23
    Maddie - Chessie - 3/6/10 - 6/25/22
    Purps (Pinks sister) - Black Lab/mix -(Back with us 1/1/18) 12/30/10 - 4/7/21
    Gracie - Yellow Lab - 10/23/05 - 9/6/18
    Nozomi (Zoe) - BC/Lab - Got ya 9/5/09 - 3/19/15
    Abbey - Yellow Lab - Got ya - 5/8/09 - 4/22/11
    Cheanna - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 5/99 - 9/21/10
    Buddy (Bubba) - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 11/2/02 - 3/28/10
    Amber - Yellow Lab/Dobi - Got ya 8/1989 - 5/15/01

Absolutely! Not only at home, but in the car as well. My daughter and I were just talking about me growing up without a/c both at home and in our cars, something she just takes for granted. I was driving between NC and MD yesterday and the car thermometer said it was 99 degrees outside. I had the a/c set at about 70 degrees (for the dogs, of course ) but the sun shining in through the windows still had them panting. Without a/c I can't imagine taking the dogs in a car in temps like these!

We had to get our 50+ year old thermostat replaced today. The other night my DH had the thermostat set at 70 but when he awoke in the morning, the temp in the house was 80. After turning the system off and on, presumably to reset it, last night the thermostat was set at 80 and the house was 69 degrees this morning. I figure I shouldn't have to wear a sweatshirt and socks inside the house on a hot summer day!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

I would melt with out a/c, so would the dogs! I just took both of them out to potty, both quickly did, they were not out for even 5 minutes. 96° and extreme humidity, yuck. It sucks the energy right out of you.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

I grew up in Montgomery, Alabama. (At least when I was quite young.) No AC. This was back in the 50's. We had a ceiling fan. That was our big luxury. We played outside in the hose a whole lot. We didn't have a pool Instead, we had a wheelbarrow that we filled with water and splashed in. It was even before Slip-n-Slide was invented. Oh, and we had water balloons and water pistols. And big shade trees with a cool rope swing in them. And lots of iced tea and lime sherbert. That's what I think of when I think of growing up in Alabama.

Somehow, I don't remembering suffering in the heat that much. I just remember the good stuff.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

katALlabs (06-13-2015), kelsyg (06-13-2015)

Real Retriever
    Guess I'm the odd man out here! I live w/out AC and love it. The house gets morning then all afternoon sun but by using windows and a fan I can keep it pretty comfortable most days. I do have a small window unit from when my old gal Wendy was around, she would have not made it through summer without it. I put it in the bedroom (North side) window and kept it on low, she pretty much lived in there. Even on those nice cool evenings after going outside, she would come in and I would hear her head butting the bedroom door trying to get in. For me, it was like a freezer in there! I go to bed and cover up with blankets and spreads trying to get warm. By morning it felt hot in there. A couple hours early morning in the garden and just being inside the house felt good again.

Sunshine has never known AC in her 3.5 years with me. There are thick bushes on the East side of the house and on those brutal afternoons, she retreats there. I've joined her a few times and it is pretty nice under there. A few more years and I might be able to cut out space for a chair and cooler......

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos