The funny things we miss

In reading Kendal's warm and funny, yet sad tribute this morning, I was thinking about how our dogs have habits or quirks that make us crazy, yet, when they are no longer with us, we find them so endearing.

I was doing some gardening today and found a cat turd (I always wear gloves) and thought about how if one of my former Labs had still been around, he would have found it before me, and eaten it. It used to drive me crazy, but now that he's gone, it's funny and, well, convenient.

What are some of the things you "miss" about your past dogs?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Maxx&Emma (06-14-2015), MikeLynn (06-13-2015)

Best Friend Retriever LucyTudeOn4Feet's Avatar
    I miss my first Lab stealing one shoe - only one, not the pair - and placing it in the center of the foyer when she was left at home by herself for a few hours. It was like a little "I missed you" message.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LucyTudeOn4Feet For This Useful Post:

Maxx&Emma (06-14-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    In reading Kendal's warm and funny, yet sad tribute this morning, I was thinking about how our dogs have habits or quirks that make us crazy, yet, when they are no longer with us, we find them so endearing.

I was doing some gardening today and found a cat turd (I always wear gloves) and thought about how if one of my former Labs had still been around, he would have found it before me, and eaten it. It used to drive me crazy, but now that he's gone, it's funny and, well, convenient.

What are some of the things you "miss" about your past dogs?
    I know what you mean. Ella, my first Lab, always laid down touching my leg when we were in the living room. Dusty, my yellow girl who passed from a brain tumor at 2 years old, would roll in poo every chance she got. Clancy, was a talker. He was very vocal, making all kinds of moaning, groaning and grumbling noises. Elvis, was abused when his breeder sent him off for gundog training. He always sat with his back against a wall so no one could get behind him. He was such a sweet dog, and handsome, he was only a couple points away from his conformation Champion title. Up until I had my kitchen re-done last year, there was still dirt on a wall from him. Sadly he passed from kidney failure at the age of 10, complications from Lyme. Fannie was a yellow girl who came to me when she was 4. She was super sweet, and such a pretty girl, and she had the ability to catch birds in mid air, which didn't work out very well for the birds. She was also a bunny cruise missile, she never caught one, but came very, very close a lot of times. Jake came to me when he was 3. He had food aggression issues, and went back to his breeder, who had contacted me. I took him in knowing his issues. For two years he lived with us, and Fannie, and we had no issues. Then he attacked Fannie twice in one week. With a very heavy heart I sent him back to his breeder, who had him put to sleep. It still haunts me to this day that I could have done more for him. Noah was a big chocolate boy who I can only describe as a big old lump of love. He was 8 when he came to us, his breeder needed a home for him, and it was only a couple of months after Jake had been put to sleep. We took Fannie with us to meet him, and they hit it off immediately. I never saw Noah run, not one time. He was a complete couch potato, and had no clue what retrieving was all about. He LOVED Fannie. He followed her everywhere, and was always laying right where she was. When Fannie passed, Noah mourned for months. We had several really bad snowstorms right after she passed. Noah would go out and to the back of the yard and just lay down in the snow, head between his paws. I'd call him and he'd just lay there. I'd have to go out and put a leash on him to get him to come in the house.

Every single one of the Labs we had was so very special in their own way. There isn't a day that that goes by that I don't think about every one of these dogs. They all hold a special place in my heart, and they will until the day I die.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (06-14-2015), Maxx&Emma (06-14-2015)

They are each very special in their own quirky ways.

I definitely miss the uncanny ability my Ozzy had to outsmart me at every turn. He taught me many lessons but he made sure I understood I was easily defeated, lol! I may not have "celebrated" his unique gift when it was constantly in my face, I guess the old saying "you don't know what you have until it is gone" is very true. Every time I think of him I can't help but laugh...
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos