Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black Dog Project

Fascinating. I would like to buy the guy's book just because the proceeds will help out a Lab Rescue group.

Pet photo series aims to counter theory - Yahoo News

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

BILBO (06-16-2015)

That's neat. I can't tell you how many times folks have come to meet my gang here, initially dead set on a chocolate or yellow, only to fall in love w/ my blacks instead!
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

Having had yellow and black labs, there was a definite difference in people approaching them. More Moms held their kids back with Potion and Bandit than with Melody or Mardi. I've even heard people talk about black dogs.

Bless the photographer for donating part of his proceeds to a lab rescue.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Excellent idea! I'd love to see the pictures because it does take a pro to take a good pic of a black dog, but when it works out fine, the photographs are amazing.
    Black dogs are beautiful, very elegant and I really can't see why there are some many of them in shelters. They usually have to wait for adoption a lot longer. After Lynn passed, I talked to my vet and asked him to help me find another black girl. The timing was perfect, lots of litters in the area, but I was really shocked by what he told me. He said that he would probably be able to get me a yellow girl in a week, a chocolate in a month, but finding a black one was next-to-impossible, because black dogs were not popular, so breeders trie to avoid having black puppies. He told my a story of one of his "patients", a cocker-spaniel breeder who'd had one black boy in a litter and it took her almost four months to find him a home. People kept calling asking about available puppies, so she said that she had a beautiful, smart boy, but the minute she said he was black, they said they didn't want a black pup.
    There's even a tendency not to use them as therapy dogs here because of their color, and the only common exceptions are Seeing Eye dogs, because not only can't the blind see their color, but they couldn't care less as they've also learned that looks are not all that important and can be deceiving, that the most important things are usually things unseen.
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

House Broken
    Certain types of people ruin everything

I have always had black Labs, they are my favorite. I do see negative reactions from some people until they actually meet my dog(s). It makes me very sad for all the black dogs that suffer the ignorance of some.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

MikeLynn (06-15-2015)

Black dogs rock

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to labby For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (06-15-2015), MikeLynn (06-15-2015), POPTOP (06-15-2015), TuMicks (06-15-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Black dogs rock
    Oh Labby, that's a very precious picture.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLynn View Post
    Excellent idea! I'd love to see the pictures because it does take a pro to take a good pic of a black dog, but when it works out fine, the photographs are amazing.
    Black dogs are beautiful, very elegant and I really can't see why there are some many of them in shelters. They usually have to wait for adoption a lot longer. After Lynn passed, I talked to my vet and asked him to help me find another black girl. The timing was perfect, lots of litters in the area, but I was really shocked by what he told me. He said that he would probably be able to get me a yellow girl in a week, a chocolate in a month, but finding a black one was next-to-impossible, because black dogs were not popular, so breeders trie to avoid having black puppies. He told my a story of one of his "patients", a cocker-spaniel breeder who'd had one black boy in a litter and it took her almost four months to find him a home. People kept calling asking about available puppies, so she said that she had a beautiful, smart boy, but the minute she said he was black, they said they didn't want a black pup.
    There's even a tendency not to use them as therapy dogs here because of their color, and the only common exceptions are Seeing Eye dogs, because not only can't the blind see their color, but they couldn't care less as they've also learned that looks are not all that important and can be deceiving, that the most important things are usually things unseen.
    People are brain dead. I'm glad I'm not breeding puppies. I just couldn't sell a pup to such stupid people.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

MikeLynn (06-16-2015)

Black Labs have always been my favorite. I've had all three colors, 2 yellow, 2 chocolate, and 6 black. I remember way back when I first go into Labs in the UK, and breeders basically wanted no black males in their litters, too hard to sell. My friends had a black dog, full Champion who I truly loved. Great temperament, great conformation, and a tireless worker in the field. He truly epitomized what a Lab should be. He is Bruce's great-great grandfather, and I see the connection every day.

I think pop culture has something to do with it, you see yellow lab pups in commercials, movies etc, but very few blacks. People see the cute yellow Labs, that's what they want. Let's face chocolates didn't become popular until Bill Clinton got one at the White House. I serious doubt you's see nearly as many chocolates if Buddy never went to the White House.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

MikeLynn (06-16-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos