Bruce's first field training

When we went to the Rally trial last week I met a lady who invited us to join their training group. Since I've been having issues with Bruce and his retrieving, I knew any help would be very welcome. We had our first training day this morning.

The location is basically field training heaven. Nice fields with some cover, and many options for water retrieves.

I wasn't sure what to expect, as I haven't done any real field training since I left the UK in 1989. There were only 3 of us there today, me, the lady I met, and another gentleman. Both thier dogs are competing at the Senior Hunt Test level. The guy was talking about setting up multiple blinds and double marked retrieves, and I'm thinking Bruce has never retrieved out of my yard, how the hell is he going to this? Luckily the lady stepped in and said go set up what you want to do, and I'll help work with Bruce.

We did some straight forward marked retrieves at about 50 yards. Bruce had never been exposed to gunfire, so I took him on heel while she fired her blank pistol, and Bruce did not react at all. So we went to our start point, a couple of duck call quacks, toss the bumper, fire the shot. I send Bruce. He went to the mark and picked it up, then proceeded to a drainage ditch. I got him to come to me and we did it again. This time he brought the bumper close to me and dropped it. We did this 4 more times, and he was better on marking on each bumper, but never really brought them to me. Overall I was surprised at how well he marked, picked up the "bird" and brought it back close to me.

The other two dogs ran there marks and blinds, and I was having a great time tossing birds and watching the dogs work. Once finished we set up for some water retrieves. The other two dogs ran marked doubles and a blind. Again, fun to watch these dogs work, and both did nicely with the marked and blind retrieves.

We had a nice set up with about 10 yards of water, 10 yards of land, backed by 10 yards of water. We started Bruce with a close water mark, and he did well. Next a mark on the land just beyond the water. Again, pretty good, right to the mark, and brought it back and dropped it close to me. Next, a mark in the water just beyond the land. Bruce struggled a bit, and the lady threw another bumper close to the first, and Bruce went right to it, and brought it all the way back, actually handing it to me. We did two more and he did better with marking each one, and bringing them back close to me.

For a first time of formal training, I felt Bruce did a good job, I'm going to work hard this week on him finishing retrieves, that is bringing them to hand. Overall I was really impressed with his speed to the marks and on his return.

Any advice on how to have him bring the bird to me would be greatly appreciated.

That's awesome Barry! Congrats on taking such a big step with Bruce towards real waterfowl retrieving. I'm about to introduce Chopper to my new Benelli shotgun for the first time this weekend. I hope things go as well for us as for you and Bruce. Keep up the good work!

No advice, I have never done this type of training but it really sounds like fun! Maybe you can take some pics of your handsome boy working and share them. (hint, hint!) Good luck to both of you!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

How fun!

My suggestion would be to let him know what is expected of him. He probably doesn't get that he MUST bring the bumper back; that it's not an option or a game.

I am assuming he doesn't have a formal retrieve, like for obedience? How is his recall in distractions at a distance?

If you use a clicker or want to use a clicker, there are lots of clicked retrieve training options by Janice Gunn (you have to buy the DVD) and Shirley Chong (the latter is pretty popular, and I included the link).

Did you try him on a live pigeon?

When I started we had similar issues. We didn't have a solid formal retrieve during distractions (fields are very distracting!) and my dog was not fired up about bumpers anyway. We worked on the formal retrieve and started training him with birds instead of bumpers, which really ignited that fire. Now, he's got it, and he will retrieve a bumper with as much gusto as a bird. It didn't take long at all.

Bruce will have fun doing what we do normally w/ puppies. Puppy picks up bird (yes, real live pigeons which are flapping their wings but restrained) and as soon as that happens, YOU make it a game of chase. Turn to your side, and run AWAY from your dog calling it.... they take up the chase and as they get to your side, you reach down and take the bird.... GOOD PUPPY!!!! And throw it again! Puppy learns that bringing the bird back to owner means it flies and flaps again..... Do that w/ puppies only ~3 x and call it good.
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

Yep... that whole grab it and run thing is so dog-centric. Works every time. Great way to get the whole thing started.

Bruce. You're killing me! I covet your training grounds and your description of the water. You ran into a solid field person who understood that dogs have to be TAUGHT before they can be tested. Keep it up. But watch out... you could get addicted.

Quote Originally Posted by TuMicks View Post

You ran into a solid field person who understood that dogs have to be TAUGHT before they can be tested. Keep it up. But watch out... you could get addicted.
    It's funny you should say this, as she and I had this very conversation, almost word for word. The other guy that was with us didn't seem to get it that this was Bruce and my first time in the field. He was setting up 120-150 yard marks. No way in hell Bruce was going to be able to come close to doing that.

The lady told me as we were finishing up that this guy is an AKC hunt test judge, and has no patience for show type dogs. She's had some issues with him in the past, and he likes to give a lot of unwanted, unneeded, and at times, bad advice. I told her not to worry, I've been around a while and do a pretty good job of weeding through the BS. I told her that I was there to learn, and I wanted feedback, be it good or bad. I guess in some ways I'm an anomaly for a man, in that I don't fear or resist feedback or someone telling me there is a better way to do something. I honestly want to learn, and I want and need feedback to do so.

All I know is both Bruce and I had a great time, and I look forward to seeing how far he and I can go. Honestly, I know I'm the weak link in the chain, and I'm sure my lack of knowledge has held Bruce back a bit. This is why I go to training, so I can get better, and in turn, can make Bruce the awesome dog I know he can be.

FWIW: I have an older dog who is a MH and actually qualified for the Master National in 2012. One of the dogs in our retriever club who has his Senior Hunter title but still struggling for the next level... is a much better marker than she is. He is a bench champion. Marking is a highly hereditary thing (though it can be shaped and enriched and educated). This dog didn't acquire his abilities from his trainer or training program. He just has it.

So... if Bruce likes his birds, and you guys are having fun... enjoy!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos