Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ideal age to neuter

I want to thank everyone for helping me with my last post about pinning the stomach but now my 2nd dilemma,I was sent some articles and studies which seemed a little much for me.,my 1st lab didnt get neuteredtill 7 years old and he lived till 14,my 2nd lab i got neutered young and he lived till 10 ,what should I do,not that i'm saying the neutering had anything to do with the legnth of life ,but now i'm not even sure if I should do it,-img_6244-jpg
    Packer

Personally, if I was not having any behavioral issues I would not neuter. I know I am responsible, my dogs do not even go out in the backyard alone, I would never allow them to run at large. The only reason I neutered my boy was the contract I signed with his breeder. I will make sure that is not an issue with my next puppy. I held out until he was 2 and I absolutely would not neuter until that age anyway.

If your breeder allows you to make that decision and you are certain you can keep your dog under your control at all times maybe you don't need to even worry about it right now. See how things go but definitely wait until the growth plates close and he has matured.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

,yes thats what i read,i as well have that deal with my breeder ,i am starting professional training this saturday and they are going to give me an evaluation,not really having any issues with him,just nrmal lab puppy,biting and energy,i just called my vet to cancel the pinning and neutering telling her i need some time
    Packer

Good for you! I hope you don't mind if I say you shouldn't have to give your vet any excuse. Packer is your puppy and only you have the right to make informed, thoughtful health decisions for him! Most of the vets I have used are happy to know they have an informed, educated client that wants to do right by their pet(s), if they don't, find another vet.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

don't mind one bit,thats why i'm here,
    Packer

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jules For This Useful Post:

Maxx&Emma (06-16-2015)

Senior Dog
    Not before 18 months

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bett For This Useful Post:

MikeLynn (06-17-2015)

personnaly I think anytime after 6 months is fine. best to wait until 2. but coming from someone in rescue who has seen way too many "oops" litters I am all for neutering once the dog is mature - and being SUPER vigilant and cautious and smart when leaving one's dog intact.

but really it's about the articles, science and making a personal decision. As long as you are aware of the pros and cons you need to do what works for you. For some people waiting until 18-24 months doesn't work all that well for a variety of reasons and that's fine.

For the record, I don't believe much behaviourally is changed by neutering and in fact, they say to neuter DURING a behavioural "issue" can make it worse (or keep it status quo) and that one for one it's best to address that issue before neutering.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

ZoeysMommy (06-17-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    personnaly I think anytime after 6 months is fine. best to wait until 2. but coming from someone in rescue who has seen way too many "oops" litters I am all for neutering once the dog is mature - and being SUPER vigilant and cautious and smart when leaving one's dog intact.

but really it's about the articles, science and making a personal decision. As long as you are aware of the pros and cons you need to do what works for you. For some people waiting until 18-24 months doesn't work all that well for a variety of reasons and that's fine.

For the record, I don't believe much behaviourally is changed by neutering and in fact, they say to neuter DURING a behavioural "issue" can make it worse (or keep it status quo) and that one for one it's best to address that issue before neutering.
    I don't disagree with you completely about neutering not affecting behavioral issues, for the most part. Having said that, Maxx did start a bit of bullying with Emma and his concentration in class was all over the place prior to neutering. I did work on both issues for 6 plus months without much improvement. After he was neutered both of these problems faded away fairly quickly. Maybe it was neutering, maybe not but he definitely returned to his normal sweet, mellow self and for that I am thankful.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

i have neve had the the opportunity to have one procreate ,he s my 3rd in 25 years,my first one I tried but the female dog wasn't ready whe the owner insisted she was,my dog went to mount her she turned and bit him in the face,ever since that he remembered and could never get him to mate so he didn't get neutered until 6 years old and he lived longer ,i'm going to wait and see,he never leaves the house or backyard ,-fullsizerender-jpg
    Packer

Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    i have neve had the the opportunity to have one procreate ,he s my 3rd in 25 years,my first one I tried but the female dog wasn't ready whe the owner insisted she was,my dog went to mount her she turned and bit him in the face,ever since that he remembered and could never get him to mate so he didn't get neutered until 6 years old and he lived longer ,i'm going to wait and see,he never leaves the house or backyard ,-fullsizerender-jpg
    This is better left to the responsible breeders that do all the necessary health testing, prove their dogs in at least one venue and have dog(s) worthy of being bred. It definitely is not necessary for the majority of dogs to procreate! If this is something you are interested in please find a responsible/reputable breeder to mentor you.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos