REV - " Table Manners II "

Aye Mates,
    I recently discussed the progression of young REV in the process of "HOLD" conditioning. Now mind ye, prior to starting this training, REV'S perception of just about anything he could put in his mouth was that of a "play toy". REV would chew, chomp, shake, paw, and spit out items he picked up incidently, or those placed in his mouth. Quick corrections made to that misconception by REV, he is now (excuse the pun) "rolling right along" as is demonstrated by his proper "HOLD" of a clean paint roller in the photo below.

A clean paint roller of similar size to that of a training bumper is one of several improvised "training bucks" I use in addition to some others that are commercially produced.

Though he got off to a slow start, REV has now progressed to the point where he will reliably HOLD a training buck (a paint roller in this case) whilst I am not immediately adjacent to him. Standing back and away from the retriever presents an opportunity for the dog to "test" the trainers insistance on "HOLDING" the item until I return to him and command "GIVE" for his release of it into my hand.

Next, I progress to the introduction of an actual training bumper and remain within immediate proximity to REV so that I can correct him immediately for any dyfunctional mouthing diaplayed. I am also at an equal advantage to lavish reward in the way of positive physical contact and verbal praise for work well done.

As REV exhibits more reliable "HOLD" as commanded, I increase the distance between us randomly as he holds the bumper and return to him, pet him as he continues to "HOLD", then I issue the "GIVE" command and he releases the bumper into my hand. While he is holding the bumper, I make any corrections needed as to (improper hold such as mouthing it , not holding it by the end, etc.). I also tap the ends of the bumper to encourage a firm hold, but not one with forces that will crush a gamebird. Hunt test judges examine retrieved birds for signs of rough handling by the dog and when noted it can result in a lowered score or disqualification. No hunter wants his retriever returning with a half eaten bird for his gamebag.

Time spent methodically working the retriever through the critical "HOLD" conditioning prior to moving on to the "FORCE FETCH" process is time well invested. REV is a much more proficient retriever with the development of this skill, than he was just weeks ago.

Slainte,
    THE DOG WHISTLER
    Last edited by IRISHWISTLER; 06-16-2015 at 10:53 PM.
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

Thanks for the training Good boy Rev !

Thanks for the lesson. Along with REV, I am learning so much about the sport.

I found myself gently holding my tongue, no chewing, until you gave the GIVE command, LOL.

Love these posts. Please thank REV for being a good example to follow.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    Thanks for the lesson. Along with REV, I am learning so much about the sport.

I found myself gently holding my tongue, no chewing, until you gave the GIVE command, LOL.

Love these posts. Please thank REV for being a good example to follow.

POOTOP and Jack.
    Glad you found the posts instructive. REV is a good lad and is really moving in a great direction relative to his overall training as a gundog.

Cheers,
    THE DOG WHISTLER
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos