Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish oil

Fish oil

I buy the giant bottle of Kirkland fish oil softgels and give Sam two a day. I also give vitamin E (400 IU) every other day. Does anyone else use fish oil for humans for their dogs? My bottle is getting low and I was wondering if I should switch to grizzly salmon oil. The price of the Kirkland fish oil seems so much better than the grizzly salmon oil though. Just wondering...
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

I actually switch between the two. Grizzly salmon oil can get costly with 4 dogs getting 2 squirts a day, and it could be more dogs depending on who's boarding at the house. So I'll do a month or two of human pills, then buy a bottle of Grizzly...

I know a couple of people that use human fish oil caps rather than a dog specific product and have never heard them complain. I also know someone that feeds sardines rather than oil or a capsule, it seems to work for her dog. I honestly don't know if there is any issue for using human grade, I would think fish oil would be fish oil. If you do use the human version or even a dog version that does not include vitamin E, please make sure you continue to add vitamin E, 3-4 times a week.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

House Broken
    I used to give Lily my fish oil capsules, and they worked like a charm Super shiny!
    My first lab, Lily 2004-2013 (Love you Lily Bean, we miss you every day!)
    Our video tribute (on her 9th birthday, we lost her a month later): Hidden Content

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    i used human vitamins all the time for mine.

Senior Dog
    I use fish oil from Puritans' Pride for mine...same one my husband takes.

I tried Grizzley with my two and they didn't like it (I'd used it with previous dogs).

I give each of my dogs 2 kirkland fish oil caps + 1 vit E cap daily. Also pop my daily dose while I'm at it. I've also been buying their coconut oil recently and it's a hit...
    I had a woman ask me what I fed my dogs at a recent Pet Health Fair as she was so impressed w/ their coats, etc. I think she thought I was a nutcase, lol.... but she went away saying she was definitely getting her ex-husband (who has custody of the dog) to feed their dog a better brand after talking to me!
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

House Broken Candy and Spike's Dad's Avatar
    I also give Kirkland fish oil to Candy and Spike.

I started my pups on Grizzly about 4 months ago. I haven't tried human versions but I would think it would be fine and have heard of others using it. I have not noticed any coat difference. They were shiny before and still are. Ava has slight dandruff and that has not changed. So I may discontinue when this bottles empties. They do love the fish oil though, spend time licking their dishes "clean".
    Hidden Content

Instagram: SAM.AVA

I do not mean to high jack your thread Georgia, but I have a question regarding fish oil for you guys. Chopper is nearly 11 months old and has no issues with dry skin; has a beautiful thick, shiny fur coat; his stamina is off the chart; no immune system deficiencies or joint issues. Should I be giving him fish oil and vitamin E as a preventative measure for later in life?

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos