Thread: Eating bees

Eating bees

Will eating bees ALWAYS result in swelling and allergic reactions? Or just with dogs that are actually allergic to them?

I had to dig up my lavender in the back yard and move it to the front this weekend because Linus was standing there snapping at the bees and the lavender was in an area the dogs like to hang out. I have some cat mint, which is also bee heaven, but they are in an area the dogs do not frequent. Hopefully those can stay.

The good news is that it gave me an excuse to go buy three more Strawberry Vanilla hydrangeas to put in the bed with the other two! They are a new variety, easy keepers, grow like weeds, and love the sun.

I thought an actual allergic reaction only happens if there is an allergy. I could be wrong, it won't be the first time, lol!

Strawberry vanilla Hydrangeas sound very pretty, they are one of my favorite flowers.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Well, a bite will cause swelling whether or not they're allergic to bee venom or not.

An allergic reaction is a completely different thing entirely, which could potentially be fatal, if the dog (or person) goes into anaphylactic shock.
    Hidden Content
    Abby
    ​Decisions, decisions, decisions

Hidden Content

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Cheryl Zuccaro

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (06-18-2015), bett (06-18-2015)

If dogs are like people and it's truly an allergic reaction then each successive sting is potentially more serious. I imagine a sting in the mouth that results in swelling in the throat could be just as serious as allergy.

Archie is a bee chaser, well any flying bug. Luckily as far as we can tell, he has not been stung yet.

A sting in the mouth/muzzle area will cause swelling. An allergic reaction can be life threatening. Best to do what you did and move the plants that the bees love most.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Sophie got stung in the mouth a few years ago, I actually had to pull the stinger out of her upper lip, she had some localized swelling so I gave her some Benadryl which took care of it.

I had a puppy that did that and got stung in her throat. It swelled up and she needed an emergency tracheotomy to breath. Then predisone to get the swelling down. A few days later, she trying to catch bees again. I started spraying her with bug repellant before letting her outside. She outgrew it.
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos