Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Happy belated gotcha day, Achilles

In the hubbub of a busy time I completely missed Achilles' gotcha day. He's an honourary Lab so I hope you will excuse and indulge me.

In late May 2006 I still lived in Austin Texas. A friend who did Lab rescue in the area emailed me. She worked with the Williamson County Animal Shelter in Cedar Park, pulling Labs. She described not a Lab, but a thought-to-be Australian Cattle dog cross. While she had not met the dog the ACO there thought well of him. Jill knew I had an ACDx and thought I might foster him. I said 'Sure I'll take a look at him.' So I drove halfway across Austin in Friday afternoon rush hour traffic.

Got to the shelter shortly before closing time, met him, and was very, very impressed. A very handsome guy, wagged easily when we were introduced, was open to me, walked well on leash. He'd been picked up as a stray and his people never came for him. He was named Achilles and put up for adoption. Had gotten a few looks yet nothing had come of them.

Williamson County was consolidating its several shelters into one facility which had fewer runs so decisions were going to be made. I was very, very interested. Asked if I could come back the next day with one of my dogs to see how they got along. I'd already decided to bring my challenging ACDx Stella because my Labx Corndog loved everyone, two- and four-footed. They essentially said 'Yes you have to come back and please bring your dog.'

I already knew this was not going to be a foster.

The meet and greet went fine so we proceeded with the formalities. I picked up Achilles a week later, after his vet check and neutering. It was his 363rd day at the shelter.

He settled in fairly well and fairly quickly.

Began leading Corndog and Stella on chase games.

I learned that he thought the Dyson is evil.

We did have a few hiccups along the way. He stole food off the kitchen counter a couple times. Once I was working in the kitchen, heard a strange sound that stopped so I investigated. Walked into the living room and happened to look out the window just right to see Chili dogs' brush of a tail disappear behind my neighbours' hedge. He had gone through the screen door. Oh crap.

Grab cell, car keys, jump in truck, drive up to him. 'Achilles, do you want to go?' [my key phrase for a ride]. Opened the door and he hopped right in.

I frequently pondered why I was led, no compelled, to adopt a third dog before moving to Canada with Corndog and Stella. It came to pass that Corndog developed lymphoma and I had to let go of him eight months after adopting Achilles, six months before moving. Perhaps moving with two dogs was meant to be, was why I was compelled to adopt Chili dog.

In July 2007 we started out for our new life in Canada.

After many days travel we arrived at our new home.

Former Texan Achilles has adapted to living with, and in, winter.

He still will not get in the water. Not going to, no way, can't make me.

He likes vegetables - carrots, carrot peelings, asparagus roots. Yum, a snap pea.

It is fitting to take a shelter dog on walks to fund-raise for the OSPCA (Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals).

Here we are, nine years - nine years! - later. I did not imagine it. The shelter workers estimated him to be six years old. That was a good estimate, given his easy, mellow temperament and teeth worn by chewing on the chain he was likely restrained by. That estimate means he would be fifteen and we can't believe he's that old. Not when he can still break the sound barrier instigating a chase game with Stella.

We are inclined to believe he's ten or eleven. We don't at all fault the shelter folks - aging a dog can be a guessing game.

Achilles is a marvellous ambassador from his species to ours. Especially when he does this, showing tongue.

Sometimes you ask yourself what the heck you are doing because it makes no logical sense. There's no clear answer and yet it seems, is, right. You have to take it on faith. Sometimes it takes time to learn why you did something. My life, our lives, have been so amazingly enriched.

Happy belated gotcha day sir. Thank you.
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mr Kleb For This Useful Post:

BILBO (06-19-2015), Blackboy98 (06-19-2015), Dallas dawg (06-19-2015), Macy (06-19-2015), Meeps83 (06-19-2015), MikeLynn (06-19-2015), POPTOP (06-19-2015), Sandra (06-19-2015), Scoutpout (06-19-2015), smartrock (06-19-2015)

With all that your family has been through I think he understands.
    Happpy gotcha day Achilles!
    At the Bridge
    Pinks - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 12/30/10 - 5/12/23
    Maddie - Chessie - 3/6/10 - 6/25/22
    Purps (Pinks sister) - Black Lab/mix -(Back with us 1/1/18) 12/30/10 - 4/7/21
    Gracie - Yellow Lab - 10/23/05 - 9/6/18
    Nozomi (Zoe) - BC/Lab - Got ya 9/5/09 - 3/19/15
    Abbey - Yellow Lab - Got ya - 5/8/09 - 4/22/11
    Cheanna - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 5/99 - 9/21/10
    Buddy (Bubba) - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 11/2/02 - 3/28/10
    Amber - Yellow Lab/Dobi - Got ya 8/1989 - 5/15/01

4. The Following User Says Thank You to katALlabs For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (06-19-2015)

Senior Dog
    Happy gotcha day. I really enjoy the stories of how you and Faye met and the pup stories. Never gets old.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dallas dawg For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (06-19-2015)

Happy Gottcha Day.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jollymolly For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (06-19-2015)

Happy Gotcha Day, Achilles!!!
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeLynn For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (06-19-2015)

HAPPY GOTCHA DAY, ACHILLES. What a fitting name for loved family member. All are enriched on gotcha days. Your stories always make me smile!!!!!!!!!!
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackboy98 For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (06-19-2015)

Achilles is such a smart, alert looking dog, I guess it's the ears. I've always admired the colouring too, is it red merle? What is it called? Such a lucky dog he is and such a lucky fellow you are.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (06-19-2015)

Duplicate post- Happy Gotcha Day!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

16. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (06-19-2015)

He is a great looking dog! I'm glad you and he found each other! He doesn't look a day over 2, are you sure he's at least more than 9 years old? I've seen blue heelers, does his coloring make him a red heeler? It took me a long time to realize Australian cattle dogs and heelers were the same breed!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

18. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (06-19-2015)

Happy Gotcha Day Achilles!

Love his story; thanks for sharing. He's such a joy to see with his exuberant love of life.

Wishing you many, many more handsome.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

20. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (06-19-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos