Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labrador Mix

Puppy

Labrador Mix

Hi, just got a lab mix for Fathers day as our little Corgi passed in my arms not long ago. I have wanted a big lover for quite some time and I was introduced to "Buddy" and he took to me and visa-versa!. Most say this puppy (11 weeks and 25 lbs). is mostly lab. Ears look a little larger and longer but not for sure. His ribs are showing though and I am a little concerned. The foster home had her on "Exclusive Puppy Chow Chicken and Rice". This food is only sold at feed stores. I used ProPlan Savor maintenance for my Corgi. You know that when you do a search you get all kinds of answers as to what to feed them. I only have a couple of cups of this Exclusive brand left and I know that whatever I decide on feeding my new boy he will have to be led into the new food. This would mean I would still need to buy more just to have enough to ween her to a new food. Here is the link to the food and there are tabs where you can look at ingredients and levels. He is on the skinny side. Some say 2 times a day, others have said 3. I am so anal my wife says, but that's just me and I want to make sure I give this little guy the best start possible. Any help and recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Regards
    Bob

Hi and welcome to you and Buddy! What a nice Fathers Day gift!

I don't know anything about Exclusive food but most people on here recommend giving the puppy a few weeks at least on their current food before switching, just to try to head off any tummy trouble related to the switch. I fed both of mine Pro Plan puppy chicken & rice at the breeders' recommendation. Most on here stay away from the Savor variety because those shreds are high in soy and not necessarily the best. At his age my 2 were getting 3/4 to 1 cup of food three meals per day. I switched to 2 meals per day and adult food around 5 months but there are lots of opinions on the switch to adult food.

Again, welcome and get ready for some fun times!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

It doesn't look like a bad food at all. I would much prefer to feed it over Pro Plan Savor. Just my opinion, I'm sure the Pro Plan Pushers will chime in.
    Hidden Content
    Abby
    ​Decisions, decisions, decisions

Hidden Content

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Cheryl Zuccaro

Hello and Welcome!

Awesome Father's Day gift.

Not the best on puppy advice since we home older dogs, can only echo what I have learned here. It is best to keep Buddy on what he came to you with at the very least during the settling in period. Any change over should be done very slowly to keep from having tummy upsets.

Looking forward to pictures.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Senior Dog
    OK...first thing you need to do is be consistent in referring to Buddy as a male. No more of this "her" and "she" stuff mixed in or you're going to have a very confused dog. (OK...I'm teasing...it's just me who got confused for a minute there...Buddy only knows the love you're giving). Awesome Father's Day gift...obviously, you're having a great special day.

No suggestions on the food but wanted to say "Welcome" to you and Buddy.

Congratulations on your new puppy! What a wonderful Father's Day gift! We adopted our dog Frank in January and the rescue only gave us a small sandwich size bag of food. They didn't even know the brand of the food. We had to switch right away so we could mix what they gave us with what we wanted to feed and we didn't have any issues. Our other dog Sam we had as a puppy. We fed him Pro Plan Focus large breed puppy. If you want to switch to Pro Plan, I would choose the Focus puppy or one of the Sport formulas. I hope the transition goes smoothly with no tummy issues!

ETA: I would start by feeding 3/4-1 cup of food three times a day.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

btw, I'm not a "Pro Plan Pusher", that's just what my 2 breeders recommended and were feeding the puppies when we got them so I stuck with it. After their puppyhood I've fed all sorts of different foods, including but not limited to ProPlan. I switch around so if there's an issue with one brand of food I have several others I can switch to without any transition period. If Exclusive is what Buddy has been eating, I'd stick with it for a while.

Hi and welcome!

I don't consider myself a "Pro Plan pusher", I haven't used it in years but here is my 2 cents, for whatever it is worth...

I strongly believe you should feed what is recommended by your breeder, if you have one. Keeping a puppy on what they have been eating can be very important in the beginning, the puppy is stressed from all the changes, why add to that? I have not heard the best things about the Savor line of Pro Plan because of the soy, I would steer clear of it. I do think Pro Plan is a decent, middle of the road food. It is fed and recommended by many of the top breeders, I respect their opinion and their experience. I am not familiar with Exclusive.

I agree with feeding 1 cup, 3 times daily, switching to 2 times daily at about 5 months, feeding the same amount or more depending on how your puppy looks.

Wishing you all the best as you begin your journey with Buddy!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Hi and welcome to you and Buddy! Looking forward to hearing all about him as he grows!

I feed my girls Pro Plan Sport because that is what their breeder advised. They are healthy, have great poops and after almost 5 years, they still love it!
    So I guess I am a Pro Plan Pusher! You've been warned! LOL
    Last edited by kelsyg; 06-22-2015 at 09:42 AM.
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Puppy
    Hi Everyone, thanks so much for the help and your ideas. I am going to stick with the Exclusive for now. Also, Buddy is finally relaxing a little bit. He slept through the night (9-6) both nights and this morning he woke up and was running around being a puppy. So much energy and loving his new life. So he is beginning to settle in. I was surprised to read that at this age can sleep up to 20 hours a day! The training begins! I also need to work him into our swimming pool. Need to wait and let the trust build more. I have never been with out a dog except in the Navy (69-73), and instead of a playboy centerfold or picture of a girl friend on the inside of my locker door on the ship, I had an 8.5 x 11 picture of my Dog Lady. The guys on the ship would come by and say "Bob, your girlfriend is a real dog". I would smile and say she sure is! Thanks everyone. I will get some pictures out at some point. Again, the foster parent thinks she may be part hound because of the ears. Looking forward to your guesses.

Regards
    Bob

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob52 For This Useful Post:

kelsyg (06-22-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos