Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    House Broken

Is raising a Lab from a puppy really all that bad?

After spending time on another forum, I keep on hearing about the 'nightmare' that is raising a lab puppy. While researching them I've never come across that they were particularly hard, they just go through a 'land shark' phase that most puppies do. What are your opinions on this? Do you think they're over-exaggerating or is it too much for a first time dog owner to handle?

I had never raised a puppy before I got Archie at nine weeks old. My previous (and only) dog I adopted when he was around two. I would say there were a few weeks here and there when I regretted it, but I think it's all about expectations. I knew it would be a lot of hours, and classes, and it was. But worth it for our family. (Also, Archie was not too bad, according to this board, when it comes to nipping. So YMMV!)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ArchieSit For This Useful Post:

Akamichi18 (06-22-2015)

Labs are a mouthy breed and yes they do go through a "land shark" phase. My experiences with Lab puppies has been great, out of all the Labs I have had I only had one that gave me a run for my money, he was my heart dog and I miss that monkey terribly. I have always chosen/requested a middle of the road/mellow puppy and for the most part that is what I got. Yes, they can be a bit obnoxious, teething and the teenage phase can be a challenge. Fortunately these phases don't last forever. I think it would be smart if you spent some time around some Lab puppies, if at all possible. Plan to do lots of training and exercise, I think it is key to a happy Lab. They may not be the breed for everyone, some breeds are easier and others much harder. I never want to be without a Lab, I love them, their pros outweigh their cons, by far, in my opinion. I will trade a year or so of possible frustration for the other years of the best dog.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Akamichi18 (06-22-2015), Annette47 (06-23-2015)

House Broken
    Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    Labs are a mouthy breed and yes they do go through a "land shark" phase. My experiences with Lab puppies has been great, out of all the Labs I have had I only had one that gave me a run for my money, he was my heart dog and I miss that monkey terribly. I have always chosen/requested a middle of the road/mellow puppy and for the most part that is what I got. Yes, they can be a bit obnoxious, teething and the teenage phase can be a challenge. Fortunately these phases don't last forever. I think it would be smart if you spent some time around some Lab puppies, if at all possible. Plan to do lots of training and exercise, I think it is key to a happy Lab. They may not be the breed for everyone, some breeds are easier and others much harder. I never want to be without a Lab, I love them, their pros outweigh their cons, by far, in my opinion. I will trade a year or so of possible frustration for the other years of the best dog.
    The teenage year lasts till about 2-3 years of age right? And I'm planning to do quite a bit of training in the first few months I get the puppy. And then since I'll be moving to an apartment (probably) two to three months after, I'll make sure to take them out for walks regularly. Only when they're old enough I'll plan on taking them for extended walks, hiking and even camping. My only hope is that within the 2 1/2 month or so period I'm able to potty train them haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Akamichi18 View Post
    After spending time on another forum, I keep on hearing about the 'nightmare' that is raising a lab puppy. While researching them I've never come across that they were particularly hard, they just go through a 'land shark' phase that most puppies do. What are your opinions on this? Do you think they're over-exaggerating or is it too much for a first time dog owner to handle?
    I've always loved the puppy stage and never had any issues. Actually, the only issues I have ever had were getting lax in potty training when the puppy hits the 6 months + mark and you think they've got it down pretty good, then you get distracted and you don't have their "I gotta pee" look memorized and then, SURPRISE! they are peeing on the floor. I have found that they go through potty phases before they hit about a year old, and I'm getting better at remembering this. When people have issues, it seems like it's people who have not done their homework and A. don't know what to expect or are not realistic about how much work it takes or all this plus it was on a whim, and B. got puppies from BYBs or got the wrong type of puppy for their experience and lifestyle.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Akamichi18 (06-22-2015), Annette47 (06-23-2015), Charlotte K. (06-22-2015), fidgetyknees (06-22-2015), Maxx&Emma (06-22-2015), Meeps83 (06-22-2015), MikeLynn (06-23-2015), SCDoug (06-24-2015)

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    I've always loved the puppy stage and never had any issues. Actually, the only issues I have ever had were getting lax in potty training when the puppy hits the 6 months + mark and you think they've got it down pretty good, then you get distracted and you don't have their "I gotta pee" look memorized and then, SURPRISE! they are peeing on the floor. I have found that they go through potty phases before they hit about a year old, and I'm getting better at remembering this. When people have issues, it seems like it's people who have not done their homework and A. don't know what to expect or are not realistic about how much work it takes or all this plus it was on a whim, and B. got puppies from BYBs or got the wrong type of puppy for their experience and lifestyle.
    Haha I can picture myself slacking off one day and then BOOM a wake up call. Should you be worried about them making a habit of it if they accidentally do it once? Is the 'I gotta pee' look obvious or does it take a while?

I'm def. getting one from a reputable breeder and I'll be asking for a calmer individual. I feel like they would suite me better in my future apartment life, and still be able to keep up with my outdoorsy and activeness.

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    That is just what I was thinking - if you do your homework you should be fine. My pet peeve is people thinking their 8 week old puppy have behavioral issues ..... would that same person say their 18 month old kid has behavioral issues just because they are toddlers (***maybe***). But my guess is the vast majority of issues are people not knowing what to expect and how to divert attention or that they really should spend a lot of time and attention training and mentally stimulating their little pup.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to fidgetyknees For This Useful Post:

Akamichi18 (06-22-2015)

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by fidgetyknees View Post
    That is just what I was thinking - if you do your homework you should be fine. My pet peeve is people thinking their 8 week old puppy have behavioral issues ..... would that same person say their 18 month old kid has behavioral issues just because they are toddlers (***maybe***). But my guess is the vast majority of issues are people not knowing what to expect and how to divert attention or that they really should spend a lot of time and attention training and mentally stimulating their little pup.
    I never understood when people say that. I mean do they expect all animals to be born and act 'mature'? Not even human babies do that so why would animals? When I was volunteering at an animal shelter I've seen some puppies there that were dropped off for being too 'aggressive' and that kind of irked me.

I've been looking up some mental stimulation toys/games for them while I am away. I'll introduce the toys to them when they're younger and while I practice going away for a certain time period. Then I'll work on from there whenever I do go out for work and I'll give them a different version of the toy so they don't get bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Akamichi18 View Post
    Haha I can picture myself slacking off one day and then BOOM a wake up call. Should you be worried about them making a habit of it if they accidentally do it once? Is the 'I gotta pee' look obvious or does it take a while?
    Nah. It's more like a 4-5 year old kid who is potty trained who one day has to go BAD but is busy playing, holds it too long, then pees their pants as they are running to the toilet. It's just an accident. Every dog is different with the "I gotta pee look". Could be pacing, whining, staring, scratching the door, barking, or sitting there looking miserable. Sometimes it is obvious and sometimes it is not obvious and sometimes it's a look that only the owner can really see. Just depends on the dog!

Senior Dog
    It depends on the puppy. I think if you go through a reputable breeder, a lot of the worst lab puppy things are avoided. We got Kimber from a hobby breeder, a week earlier than we should have (7 weeks vs 8 weeks), from a litter that had very little human socialization. She was awful- PLUS she was our first puppy ever so we were not emotionally prepared. We read and read but it isn't the same. The biting went on for 3 months, she didn't sleep through the night until she was 7 months, and she was very aloof so we didn't even get affection! She turned into an amazing dog and while I think I will always have a lab, I'm unsure about having a lab puppy.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos