Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

New Puppy in the Neighborhood

There has been a really cute yellow lab puppy walking in our Neighborhood. I met the owner on Sunday at the beach/park near our house. I asked her if I could greet her puppy. I told her I was waiting to meet her as I had seen her in the neighborhood. She was reluctant to let me greet her puppy and when I crouched and offered my hand to her puppy she was visibly afraid. Just then our very wet 6 year old Lab came bounding over to me and the woman actually picked up her 4 month old Lab like it was a little Chihuahua. She claimed that she was waiting until her puppy was over 6 months old before she socialized her to other people or dogs. She must have noticed the shocked look on my face and then said she was reading a book that told her that it would make her dog more like a "service" animal and more bonded with her than other people or dogs. I told her that I believed that there was a window for optimal socialization and that she was going to miss it. My Lab and I walked away. It was 7:00 a.m. and I should have realized that she was out that early to avoid people. We go early to catch the high tide for the best swimming.

Such a shame for the puppy. Of all dogs, service dogs need to be socialized to handle different situations.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

geez, maybe point out to her if you manage to see her again that the Puppy Raisers for service dogs are instructed to take the pups everywhere, and introduce them to everything and everyone possible!

House Broken
    Oh boy... that's too bad. By the time she realizes her mistake, hopefully it won't be too late! Maybe she misinterpreted the advice not to socialize before getting vaccinated with socializing in general? 6 months to wait is crazy cakes
    My first lab, Lily 2004-2013 (Love you Lily Bean, we miss you every day!)
    Our video tribute (on her 9th birthday, we lost her a month later): Hidden Content

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Good grief. No wonder the puppy was shy toward you. So many outdated recommendations are still washing around... My 4mo old had already been to hunt tests, field training, obedience matches, etc, and thank dog.... because stuff is going to happen at some time sooner or later.
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

That is sad. I can't even imagine where she would have gotten that advice regarding service dogs. Sometimes people hear what they want to.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

All I know is that I can hardly pick up my 3 month old lab anymore, the little chubster. I can't imagine trying to carry him when he is 6 months old!

For the sake of the dog I hope she changes her mind and throws that book away.

Also that is just unfair to everyone around her who wants to pet her cute little lab puppy!

so so so sad unfortunately there is so much "advise" out there and much of it is bad - though this is VERY bad advice indeed.

That is weird. We have a lady with Aussies at agility trials but she takes in lab puppies which are going to be service dogs before they go into their official training. She was all about letting the pup she had this weekend play with everybody that wanted to play. My 19 week old pup had a blast with the 12 week old pup .... my boy is very good at adapting his play to whoever he is playing with.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos