Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Back From Dog Scout Camp

We are back from Dog Scout Camp!!! and every good story starts with a beginning. Here is a link to the video of moments after Hemi Arrived at camp. https://vid1251.photobucket.com/album...psgxt3lq3b.mp4

This was a fantastic year, I would have to say our best year ever but the First year was like the age of discovery and enlightenment, this year was spectacular. The weather was perfect, it rained arrival day but not much going on that day. The rest of the week was mid 70's and mostly sunny. We learned a lot of new things. There are a lot of new training techniques. If you have not seen the Do as I do dog training, take a moment and watch a few videos. Google

Hemi also leaned a few colors, so I can ask him which object is blue and which one is yellow from a variety of different objects. He also learned to tell me yes and no when I ask him simple questions, but we are still working on that. However the things I learned shows me even more dogs are way smarter than we know, they can grasp several concepts and we need to learn to communicate with them more.

We earned 8 badges this year. There are only 6 in the pictures because one was new and hadn't had the badge done yet and another they weren't expecting anyone to get. So those will be mailed to me later.

The Badges from Left to right and down are: Flyball, First Aid, CPR, Agililure, Intermediate Freestyle and Hiking. Not Pictured, Carriage Dog and Travel Safety. On a Side note I am the first guy ever to get the Intermediate freestyle badge. Not sure if I am proud of that or not. Ok I admit it I dance with my boy.

One badge he just couldn't earn but we tried was messenger dog. I was kind of conflicted on him earning it once I realized the problem. Messenger dog simulates Dogs in WWII that would go off with someone and then run messages back to the base camp. They then led the reinforcements to the original person they left. So to simulate this someone would lead Hemi off 200 yards down the trail in the woods and then he would run to me. Get me and then lead me back to that person only to find they were gone and left an article of clothing behind. The Enemy was closing in and they had to bail out. So Hemi had to then track them through the woods and find them. Hemi could do everything but leave the people in distress. So basically this goes against all his other training that if I leave he stays with the people until I return. We practiced and practiced getting the distance apart longer and longer. However there reached a point where Hemi would run away from them and reach the point he was going to loose sight of them, and couldn't see me so he would return to them. If I called him he would come running but he wouldn't leave people. So this is not such a bad thing either. So I am certainly not disappointed in him. However for the actual badge I couldn't call him he had to come get me.

This unfortunately was a small camp. The July camp is overbooked but this year June was pretty small only about 17 campers. In a way it was good because we had more access to instructors and more time to do everything. So unfortunately there was no summer love interest for Hemi. It was pretty much just Him and I having fun and a lot of swimming. Hemi got to go swimming every single day and we played a lot of doggy games. One of the funniest and funnest games was the dress your dog up relay race. Basically there was 2 teams and a huge pile of clothes. One person from each team would run to the clothes with their dog and they had to find matching socks, a shirt and something for their head. Then run back and the next dog went. The dogs had to stay dressed the whole time. All I can say is I am so glad Hemi is game for about anything. So Hemi got a pink shirt, only thing I could find in his size, yellow socks and a red and white bonnet.

Dad why do you do this to me.

For the First Aid badge Hemi had to get in a splint, and be muzzled, and other things like I had to take his temperature, not shown . You can tell he is thrilled with the muzzle.

Flyball, Hemi hitting the box and running back.

Agililure is very much like lure coursing, but with agility obstacles set up. Tire, tunnels, jumps and so on. Hemi loved this, most dogs loved this, but they get so ramped up. It took him over a half hour to settle down. But it wears them out.

Carriage dog was the most nervous one for me. Hemi had to learn to be around a horse, stay out of his feet. Which worried me cause the first time the horse whineyed Hemi play bowed it. I was like no your not playing with the horse. Hemi had to get in the horse cart by himself, and ride comfortably, he had to stay in the cart until I said he could get out. So we practiced with golf carts before the horse. I had to learn how to drive a horse too from a cart. This was a big one to learn. We did it though.

Beep Beep, come on dad lets go

Riding with in the cart. Him and I together were pretty big for the cart, so he was half on cart and half on my lap.

The hiking badge was pretty much just us hiking off leash in the woods. Hemi had to do things like recall and off leash leave it. Which he passed very well.

But it was tiring. We were both pooped. This was Hemi in Uniform the first day.

This is him falling asleep in uniform the last day during badge awards.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

ARTC (06-24-2015), barry581 (06-24-2015), coopersmom (06-30-2015), Dallas dawg (06-25-2015), doubledip1 (06-25-2015), Indigo (06-24-2015), kimbersmom (06-24-2015), labsnewfy (06-24-2015), MightyThor (06-27-2015), Scoutpout (06-25-2015)

More pics of the water.

Dad, don't you want to go swimming right now.

This is what I am talking about.

Striking a pose

Throwing the toy off the dock for himself.

Shake it off.

Playing with buds.

Don't know why I am so sleepy dad, I can't get out of bed.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

barry581 (06-24-2015), Dallas dawg (06-25-2015), doubledip1 (06-25-2015), Gibbysmom (06-24-2015), Indigo (06-24-2015), kelsyg (06-24-2015), labsnewfy (06-24-2015), Maxx&Emma (06-24-2015), Sandra (06-25-2015), Scoutpout (06-25-2015)

Looks like both of you had an awesome time! So many new things to learn, much more than I would have imagined.

Don't worry Hemi, real males can wear pink and you look great in it.

Thank you so much for sharing the trip.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

6. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Jeff (06-24-2015)

sounds like a fabulous Scout camp again! they have some really cool stuff for you guys to do! and of course who wouldn't love a vacation with their dog, doing dog stuff, and with a great pond for doggie enjoyment every day!

did you guys try the canoe again this year? I think i remember you wound up going swimming while trying to canoe last year.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

Jeff (06-24-2015)

Love love love the pics. Especially Bonnet Hemi and Lets go swimming Hemi. Can't wait to hear even more stories.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Macy For This Useful Post:

Jeff (06-24-2015)

That's a lot of activity packed into one week. Glad you both had a great time. Congrats on all of the new badges. I think dad needs a sewing badge.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sue-Ram For This Useful Post:

Jeff (06-24-2015)

Great pictures and everything looks like so much fun!! The picture of sleepy Hemi on the last day is priceless! Thank you for sharing it with us.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Jeff (06-24-2015)

Jeff, thank you ever so much for sharing yours and Hemis scout camp activities with us. Love to hear about you and Hemi. Great pics also.
    Kathy--mom to:
    Mac--chocolate lab
    Scotty--Arabian gelding

No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses.
    (Herman Melville Redburn)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to classiq For This Useful Post:

Jeff (06-24-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Scoutpout View Post
    did you guys try the canoe again this year? I think i remember you wound up going swimming while trying to canoe last year.
    Hah, no I will try this again later when there are less distractions for him to get out of the boat.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

JC001 (06-24-2015), Scoutpout (06-25-2015)

That is so cool. I never knew they had camps for dogs. I now of like doggy day care bUT this seems so much cooler.

I loved Hemi in his bonnet!!! Wish we lived closer Gauge would love to go to camp with Hemi. I can't keep him out of the water and he loves to learn new things.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to sheltieluver For This Useful Post:

Jeff (07-01-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos