Puppy

Looking for limited ingredient puppy food to help with itchiness and excessive ear yeast

We have a very itchy puppy. Our vet suggested a limited ingredient diet....and so far that has not helped...so is it a matter of just finding the right LID food, or perhaps it is not food related? He is not digging down to skin...there are no red spots and no open skin...he just itches himself SO MUCH. Also excessive ear yeast which we are working on with topical stuff...but hoping a different food could work. We have tried many of the top line foods. Wellness, Nature's Balance, Taste of the Wild...
    Just wondering if anyone out there has had similar issues and had success with any different kind of food.
    Thanks!

What did the breeder feed and did the pup have the same problems there?

How old is puppy? I find puppies scratch once they have the co-ordination to do so without falling over, when they are getting used to a collar and when they are blowing puppy coat. They just seem to be puppy things, do you think that could be the case? The first two would be young pups around 8 to 12 weeks old, for me anyway. Mine didn't blow puppy coat till closer to 12 months.

No comment on the ears. I've had yeasty dog ears but only goobery puppy eyes, no puppy ear problems. Good luck, others will chime in soon. Welcome to the board.

We went to ProPlan Sensitive Skin (it's fish based) and it worked well. How old is the puppy? We stay away from chicken here and it helped a lot with the ears. We are now feeding Fromm's grain free beef frittata.

Age is the first question I have. I'd also want to know if the dog is just 'itchy' or if there is bacteria or yeast on the skin. Once they start scratching they could open the skin up to bacteria and yeast and it kind of becomes a cycle but that didn't happen with our girl until she was 2 or so.

I would go back to what the breeder fed if switched, and start from there.

Whole body itching can also happen from excessive bathing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Doreen Davis (06-25-2015)

My growing puppies always seemed a bit itchy, I thought it was normal as it stopped.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Yes, growing skin can be itchy! Jack (who's 7) scratches a lot too and there is nothing wrong with him.

Came back to suggest, if you are going to look for a new, limited ingredient food I'd also look for a novel protein and a novel filler/carb. My boy is on Rayne KSP with good (but expensive) results. He is also on TCM. He is no longer on allergy meds.

Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
    Yes, growing skin can be itchy! Jack (who's 7) scratches a lot too and there is nothing wrong with him.
    That's what I thought!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos