Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My defective lab - swimming help?

At 1.5 years old, Thor has still not figured out swimming. He'll happily splash around and walk out to about armpit depth, then just stand there with a confused look on his face. He's not scared, just doesn't quite know what to do. I want to get him swimming since he really enjoys water otherwise- any puddle is game and he loves splashing around and blowing bubbles (he sticks his whole head underwater). I know once he gets it he'll love swimming too.

Here's what I've tried - any other hints?

1. The first few times we got him to a calm lake it was higher elevation and the water was pretty cold so we didn't go in with him. We tossed sticks (irresistible to him normally) and treats but he didn't catch on. I didn't want to push it then since he was only ~6 months old, the water was cold, and I wasn't about to go in too. We let him splash around and get used to the environment.

2. This summer we've found some opportunities that I was sure would work, but nope. The first was in a calm, warm lake where I was able to wade in with him and entice him with treats. He gets to the armpit depth and just stops (straining his head forward to get the treat - just doesn't understand the 'pick up the feet and paddle' part.

3. Earlier this week we played with a friend and her dog and her dog was happily swimming while Thor splashed on shore and clearly wanted to join in. My friend (an experienced trainer) played the part of 'mean lady' and pulled Thor in and let him paddle around her in a circle while she supported him - he paddled great, didn't appear scared or upset, and we thought he finally got it.

4. So yesterday we took him back to a warm calm lakeshore and he was back to splashing on shore. Again I was out in the water with treats, and we also tossed sticks that he *really* wanted to get to, but he just didn't get it. I think it's the transition of walking (feet on the ground) to paddling that's confusing him.

We're going back once again today, this time we're both prepared with our swimsuits so both of us can actually go out in the water and play around, hoping that it will tempt him to join in (so there is no one on shore to want to go back to). I don't want to do anything that will make him hate the water, but I swear at this point I'm ready to throw him off a dock to make him figure it out!
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

Swimming is great exercise, so I can see why you want him to do it, but some Labs just aren't into swimming. Weird, but true.

are sticks the highest valu "toy" for him? I hae had success throwing things the dog REALLY loves (and they give me the eveil eye when I toss them out) and they do go out. Or a friend he loves to chase/wrestle with (does he play like that normally? how well did he know the dog you were out with?)

he's still fairly young so it may happen. Nothing wrong wtih just splashing around the shallow end either though.

Rocky didn't quite get the memo he was a labrador RETREIVER and has never been much of a fetcher (it took lots of work and was at best hit/miss and had to be kept short). He does swim when it's very hot but DOES prefer to walk around the shallower water if that's an option (he will swim out if I throw a high valu item - but much less now that he's older). He swims when he feels like it (again usually when it's crazy hot) - he prefers icky ponds and such to lakes

House Broken
    Take him to a small pond, lakes can be intimidating just seeing water for a long distance.

Get a toy and throw it out there (where you can get it incase he doesn't) and if that doesn't work. Honestly... I'd pick him up and cradle him and gently put him in but keep a hold of him the entire time unless he seems okay. Kinda like they teach kids to swim, or get him a floaty vest (kinda embarrassing for a lab lol my brothers GF got one with a shark fin on it for her Australian sheep herder who has a better off chance of flying than swimming hahaha!) just in case and once he gets used to being in the water floating I'm sure he'll do great!

I definitely would not force him. Find a high value treat be it food, toy, bumper, even a stick. Get in the water and let him come to you, even if it's only chest high, treat or toy, praise highly. Slowly increase the distance/depth. Not having used a doggy life vest, cannot comment on that being of help. He'll get it. Just be patient.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

House Broken
    Yep, find a high value treat! Lily wouldn't swim either past where she couldn't touch, and I thought I had tried everything. Then one day one of my in-laws were messing around and someone threw a corn cob in the lake. THAT did it, and Lily jumped out and swam for it! After that, she'd swim no problem! So if what you have tried hasn't worked yet, just be patient, don't force it, and try to find something else that they REALLY value
    My first lab, Lily 2004-2013 (Love you Lily Bean, we miss you every day!)
    Our video tribute (on her 9th birthday, we lost her a month later): Hidden Content

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Get a bumper, tie a long line on it in case he won't get it, and make the game fun.

Like others said get a bumper. Hemi has several water toys but they are only for swimming. They only come out when swimming. So of course he wants them. As Jen said tie a lead to them at first until you know he is going to go get them.

He doesn't have a super toy/fetch drive except with sticks (see, defective), so that has been the most successful so far. We just spent an hour at the lake and had some success and some setback.

Husband lured him out with treats, then gently picked him up and let him paddle around and float. As soon as he lets go Thor would beeline it back to the shore. We both went in and swam around to try to get him to naturally join us but he just stood there chest deep and whined.

Then we had our biggest success - a bully stick. Yep, took his favorite stinky slimy treat and enticed him into the water with it. It's the only time I've seen him walk in and start paddling without any help or hesitation. Once the stick was obtained he was happy to chew it up on the shore thankyouverymuch.

The one moment of surprise was when he ran out the dock next to the 'beach' (we were using a boat ramp) and jumped right on in to be with my husband (we were calling him from the water, trying to get him to wade in - he chose a different route). Then he proceeded to freak out when he realized jumping off the dock at the end was a lot different than at shore and high tailed it back to shore again. It's the only time I've seen him look scared in the water so we gave him lots of praise and called it quits for the day.

So, some success, some not. On the bright side, I got some hilarious video and pictures to be posted soon.

If you have a friend with a good swimming retriever, take them both to the pond, hurl a stick out there, and the swimmer will go get it. Repeat enough times and pretty soon Thor will want to beat him to it.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos