REV - Table Manners III (Prelude to FORCE FETCH)

Aye Mates,

Recently I posted two threads (REV - Table Manners I & II) highlighting me approach to the critical process of "HOLD" conditioning as a prelude to FORCE FETCH. As ye may recall REV was tethered on the training table with both a collar and with training hobbles on his front feet as a means of inhibiting his efforts to resist. I explained the importance of the ability of the trainer to "read" indicators of both acceptance and resistance as exhibited by the K9 trainee, and to adjust accordingly. I further explained that a competent trainer remains flexible, works at the dog's rate of acceptance, and seeks to keep the K9 at ease during the process, effectively maintaining any trust previously established

My work with REV is progressing nicely, most recently our "HOLD" work on the table has gone from REV needing to be tethered to REV currently being worked without resistance exhibited on his part, that negating the need for him to be thethered.

REV demonstrating acceptance of my gloved hand as he "HOLDS" and maintains direct eye contact with me. NOTE, REV is not tethered and his main source of reward for compliance is verbal praise and positive physical contact from meself as his trainer / handler.

Here REV demonstrates "HOLD" of a paint roller and I demonstrate how REV has moved to an acceptance level of the item he is holding by allowing me to increase the distance betwixt him and meself. NOTE the focused eye contact that remains as a communicative connection betwixt K9 and trainer. Along with increased acceptance by REV of the required "HOLD" comes gradually increasing durations of his being reuired to "HOLD" without dropping. His only acceptable release of the item is when I command "GIVE" and take the item into me hand.

REV is increasingly required to "HOLD" an ever expanding variety of objects as we move through the process. He places his trust in meself as has been established throughout our time training together, again, my verbal praise and touch being his reward.

REV holding a Dokken Training Bird and having a slip lead on, I get him moving up and down the length of the training table as he "HOLDS" the bumper. REV is required to move along side of me while he maintainsmthe "HOLD", he must "SIT" when we stop moving, but maintain "HOLD" until the "GIVE" command is issued for him to release the bird into me hand. Having developed proficiency in this drill, REV has now been transitioned to doing the same drills on the ground while on lead. We will soon move on to FORCE FETCH conditioning using the "ear pinch" stimulus. REV has consistently demonstrated the ability to endure training pressure, and the intelligence to know that he can turn it off by compliance with known commands, that having been learned during obedience training. All indicators are that REV should move through FORCE FETCH conditioning without problem.

As a sidenote, I have also started REV on a conditioned "SIT" to a gunshot as a prelude to "steady to wing, shot, and fall" and he is coming along wonderfully in that regard. REV will be one year old on 7/25/15 and he has really come a long way in just under 3 months. I will continue posting on REV'S progress as we move through FORCE FETCH training and beyond.

Enjoy ye retrievers and good training to ye all.

Cheers,
    Irishwhistler
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IRISHWISTLER For This Useful Post:

barry581 (06-27-2015), JackK (06-29-2015), POPTOP (06-28-2015), TuMicks (06-27-2015)

Looks like very good progress for REV. I am learning so much by reading your posts on training. Please keep them coming.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    Looks like very good progress for REV. I am learning so much by reading your posts on training. Please keep them coming.
    Poptop,
    Glad ye find me posts helpful and informative. I will keep them coming. REV is doing well and his owner could not be more pleased with the training results to date.

Cheers,
    Irishwhistler
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IRISHWISTLER For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (06-29-2015)

Irishwistler you don't know how much I wished you lived next door to me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    Aye Barry,
    Many thanks for ye most kind complimemt. I'll keep the posts coming Mate. Here's to ye!

Slainte,
    THE DOG WHISTLER & TRAD
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IRISHWISTLER For This Useful Post:

barry581 (06-30-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    I've thought the same for quite a while too!

Quote Originally Posted by JackK View Post
    I've thought the same for quite a while too!
    Jack,
    You are practically in me back yard , given New England distances.tler

Irishwhistler
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos