Still panting, drooling, making seagull noises in car. HELP

I have posted before about Hope in the car. She is 6+1/2 years old hunting dog from the country, that I adopted 5 months ago. She is doing great living in the city now, dealing better with most things but car rides are still brutal. she pants, drools, trills & makes seagull sounds. It is very distracting. We love the beach, she loves going to the river & the woods but getting there can be tough. I am planning a trip in a few weeks, it is a fair amount of driving plus the ferry. She didn't respond well to a crate so I have shelved that. I wish I had done it earlier but its hard to teach a dog new ticks. Is there anything else I can do?
    Sedating her is something I thought of but I don't feel too good about that.

She may be experiencing motion sickness. What worked for me was crating, opening windows getting good air flow, and even covering the crate with a lightweight sheet.

She can be taught to accept the crate. Take your time and have patience. It really is much safer for her to ride in a crate. It would be preferable to sedating her which might mean she is kinda out of it when you get to your destination.

Archie gets excited riding but settles down fairly quickly. However he knows, when we get close to our destination, he is all noise and wiggles in the crate.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Have you tried a Thundershirt? My daughter's dog hates car rides and would stand up, legs spread as if braced for impact, shaking, panting, and drooling for 4-7 hours, depending upon the trip. They have used sedatives the vet gave them but they tried the Thundershirt and save the sedatives for the worst events (fireworks). She will lie down now, still pants and doesn't go to sleep, but it is greatly improved from her previous behavior. She doesn't wear the Thundershirt in the car any more and can maintain that somewhat dialed down behavior on trips. She is almost 8 years old, they started using the shirt when she was 3 or 4 years old. If you know of anyone who has one you can borrow, you might try that first, they are not inexpensive and not everyone finds them helpful. If you've read or heard anything about the work by Temple Grandin on squeeze chutes or hugging-type machines, it's based on that concept. They're not hard to put on.

Dog Anxiety Vest | Shop Dog Anxiety Treatments | ThunderShirt

Amazon.com : Thundershirt Dog Jacket for Anxiety, Large, Solid Grey : Pet Relaxants : Pet Supplies
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    Have you tried a Thundershirt? My daughter's dog hates car rides and would stand up, legs spread as if braced for impact, shaking, panting, and drooling for 4-7 hours, depending upon the trip. They have used sedatives the vet gave them but they tried the Thundershirt and save the sedatives for the worst events (fireworks). She will lie down now, still pants and doesn't go to sleep, but it is greatly improved from her previous behavior. She doesn't wear the Thundershirt in the car any more and can maintain that somewhat dialed down behavior on trips. She is almost 8 years old, they started using the shirt when she was 3 or 4 years old. If you know of anyone who has one you can borrow, you might try that first, they are not inexpensive and not everyone finds them helpful. If you've read or heard anything about the work by Temple Grandin on squeeze chutes or hugging-type machines, it's based on that concept. They're not hard to put on.

Dog Anxiety Vest | Shop Dog Anxiety Treatments | ThunderShirt

Amazon.com : Thundershirt Dog Jacket for Anxiety, Large, Solid Grey : Pet Relaxants : Pet Supplies
    Hi: thanks for the information. yes I have tried the thunder shirt. it doesn't work for her. I think it's a bit about her being so far away from me.LOL. she is in the very back of the SUV: I'm in the front.

I would just start out sitting in your drive way for now just get her in the car give her treats, praise her then take her out and play making the experience something that is fun. If that works out then try around the block a couple of times then back home and treats. Does she have a favorite chew bone that you could put in back with her to keep her occupied on the drive? I hope you can find something to help her enjoy her rides.

Bailey got car sick - we found out the hard way with him our first trip. Maybe she gets motion sickness as suggested your vet should be able to give you something to try.
    Ginger was terrible about car rides when she first came to live with us, taking it slow with her helped and now she is one of the first ones at the car to go for rides.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

Your dogs are very patriotic labsnewfy

Quote Originally Posted by labsnewfy View Post
    I would just start out sitting in your drive way for now just get her in the car give her treats, praise her then take her out and play making the experience something that is fun. If that works out then try around the block a couple of times then back home and treats. Does she have a favorite chew bone that you could put in back with her to keep her occupied on the drive? I hope you can find something to help her enjoy her rides.

Bailey got car sick - we found out the hard way with him our first trip. Maybe she gets motion sickness as suggested your vet should be able to give you something to try.
    Ginger was terrible about car rides when she first came to live with us, taking it slow with her helped and now she is one of the first ones at the car to go for rides.
    That's exactly how I got a prior dog over her anxiety with cars. We worked from just sitting in the driveway with every door and window in the SUV open to a once around the block. Make the jumps very slow over several weeks. It took mine a week just to get her to jump into the back and sit. I had to lay in the back of the SUV while she laid on the ground outside for quite a while until she decided she really wanted to be with me. She grew to love the car and longer rides. Afterwards I decided it was because she was small and couldn't see out .. leading to car sickness and anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Alix B View Post
    Hi: thanks for the information. yes I have tried the thunder shirt. it doesn't work for her. I think it's a bit about her being so far away from me.LOL. she is in the very back of the SUV: I'm in the front.
    Maybe the issue will resolve itself after Hope takes delivery of her new convertible.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Alix B View Post
    Your dogs are very patriotic labsnewfy
    Thank you, that picture was taken several years ago since then I have lost my Tootsie (choc) and Bailey (newfy mix) can't seem bring myself to change it out.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

Rescue Remedy? DAP collar?

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos