Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Just had a nice scare

I was out walking the boys in the canyon around here. Both boys were off leash. I was pulling some stickers out of Charlie's fur and when I look up not far from us I see a coyote. Both Charlie and Niner saw it and took off after it. All three of them were gone in a flash. I'm frantically whistling for the boys and nothing. After what seemed like eternity I finally see Niner coming back to me and then Charlie. Whew I thought and quickly grabbed them and put their leashes on. I look up again and there is the coyote. After all that he followed the boys back. I was shocked. I tried to jump up and down and throw something at the coyote, but he just sat there. The boys were going nuts so how I even got them out of there is beyond me.

Well that's all - my nerves are shot for the day.

Nancy

Wow! That would have been unnerving. Glad both your boys came out unhurt.
    Linda- wife to my superman, mom to my three kiddos and best buddy to Huckleberry. Hidden Content

Huckleberry and my niece
    Hidden Content

Scary! I used to live in CA and came across some pretty fearless coyotes in the Oceanside area.

Wow sounds scary. We hear them howling and yipping around here in SW Ohio and see one ran over on the road once in a while. We have not seen one up close and personal. Yet.

Glad to hear we are not having a repeat of Scout's coyote encounter. I'm sure lots of us remember Scoutpout's thread on that.

Good boys to come back. How long was eternity, do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    Glad to hear we are not having a repeat of Scout's coyote encounter. I'm sure lots of us remember Scoutpout's thread on that. Good boys to come back. How long was eternity, do you think?
    Probably about 3 minutes LOL. And i remember Scoutpouts thread so scary

Having one run off would be bad enough, but both??? I'd never see Lark again! My nerves would be shot for the week! Glad they both returned, unconcerned, proud of themselves for running off that bad coyote!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Thankfully all it was, was a big scare. I remember Scout's encounter real well. Poor baby, wonder how he's doing.

Now you know they are in your area, so you can look out for your boys. Because the next time could have a different outcome.

Don't have coyotes here, but does make me think that if we ever go walking outside my neighborhood, it's good to know what kind of wildlife is out there that could do damage to your Labs.

Know if it happened with me, my hands would still be shaking. Again, so glad your boys are safe.

KAZ

oh scarey, know that "eternity" feeling all too well! good boys for coming back! and very scarey that that one followed them back and watched you as well! so very glad the coyote didn't attack either of your guys!

Scout is 98% recovered, we have trials this coming weekend so hopefully other than the shaved butt he'll be 100%, thanks for asking.

I am beginning to wonder if one of those noise-makers like you hear at sporting events may have any impact on the coyotes...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (06-01-2014), ZRabbits (06-01-2014)

Hate those kinds of scares, we have coyotes come across the property all the time. I am grateful for no close encounters as of yet, thanks for the reminder

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos