Board of assessors wants to walk through our homes?

We received a letter the other day stating that someone from the Board of Assessors will be just popping by to examine our home and, oh, by the way, s/he may want to do a walk through on the spot. We both work from the house, mostly on the phone and are set back from the road on four acres so we have never discouraged the dogs from alerting us when someone is walking around on our property because no one belongs here without our knowledge.

Does this make sense to you? Shouldn't they be setting appointments? Have you ever had your town or city just tell you that someone would be showing up to assess your property? Any advice so that I don't lose sales? Our company is doing so well right now. Four barking dogs at a random time would be nuts.

Senior Dog
    I personally, wouldn't let them near my house. They can look from the street though. It also depends on your situation, would it be beneficial to you for lower taxes? For instance, do they think you have upgrades that you don't have?

I'd also tell them to make an appointment as you have dogs and critters.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dallas dawg For This Useful Post:

janedoe (07-04-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas dawg View Post
    I personally, wouldn't let them near my house. They can look from the street though. It also depends on your situation, would it be beneficial to you for lower taxes? For instance, do they think you have upgrades that you don't have?

I'd also tell them to make an appointment as you have dogs and critters.
    Our taxes might actually be lowered just because we had to rip out the basement apartment that my in-laws put in during the '70's. We had to get rid of the mold. She never did let them in the house but they ended up assessing her on the apartment because they heard through the grapevine that she was renting it out. I just think this is so strange. I've had the DPW enter my house without permission and now I have a letter stating that the assessor will not enter my house without a consenting adult. Clearly that came up before.

For years my Mum's house was assessed by those people just dropping by, Mum would be at work, they couldn't get in and thus for years Mum paid tax on a basement she didn't have. Our house only had a crawl space. There were two windows, I guess none of those assessors ever bothered to bend down and look in them.

The assessors are going to look over your house anyway, that's their job. I'd much rather be there to let them in than have them do a cursory outside job with wrong information resulting.

Senior Dog
    I would insist on an appointment if there is a chance they would want to come inside. Tell them you are working and need to make an appointment for them if they want to come inside. As for "popping by" by to look outside, I think that's common but it wouldn't hurt to ask if they could narrow down the time because of the dogs.

In NC we get a letter each year asking if there are improvements, which usually means additions, not a remodeled bathroom or fresh paint. In MD I don't recall getting any such letter unless we want to challenge the 3 year assessment because we think it is not a fair assessment of the home's value, "Please Sir, I want some more!" In MO I do not recall what was done. Aside from appraising our homes for sale, I do not recall anyone coming in in over 30 years of home ownership. Because of your menagerie, I'd ask if it could be done by appointment also.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Never heard of this. If indeed it is mandated by a local law, they would have to make an appointment.

The only times our home has been assessed was when we bought it and then several years ago when we refinanced. City has never asked to "pop in" and take a look.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

When I bought my house, I received a notice and made an appointment.

I would call and ask them to at least give you a 30-minute heads-up. They have cell phones, right?

Or, maybe they could give you a window (like the cable company) and you could plan on taking that time off of work or doing something not on the phone?

Did they give you a day at least?

I might tell them that you work from home and have a guard dog, so you need the heads up. And so do they.

In WA (or at least my county), they can only assess based on outside measurements and # of bathrooms (on record from building plans most likely). They did a drive by a couple years ago and asked a few questions which I thought was ludicrous enough. They do take aerial photos every few years also, I believe. Even the county animal control must give advanced notice if checking on dog licenses / shot records. I'd be upset by someone coming in unannounced!
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos