Senior Dog

More fireworks than usual? UPDATE

Did you seem to have more fireworks than usual in your neighborhood last night?

We usually have one family behind us somewhere and two places off in the distance in two different directions (advertised displays) and that's about it. Last night, there were visible fireworks on all sides of our house that continued from about 8:30 to 10:00 with a few going past that time. Loud. Close.

For the first time in my life, I had dogs reacting to the noise. They didn't seem particularly scared but were definitely all jazzed up...and they're acting weird this morning (they're "sensitive"...).

Bob was listening to the police scanner channel on his radio last night and they were getting a gazillion calls about fireworks.

As far as I know, serious fireworks still aren't legal in Maryland, so I'm not sure what the difference was.

I bumped into two of my regular walkers in the park this morning and think I have my answer(s).

There's a fireworks seller in Pennsylvania that has ads on billboards in a nearby commercial area...three that this one man knows of since they're on his way to work or places he frequents. He doesn't recall seeing billboard ads for fireworks sale before...interesting how things that are illegal can be advertised like that.

And...according to another man (who says he used to be a big fireworks display guy...driving to Pennsylvania)...illegal fireworks displays have gotten more and more popular in recent years because people know they're being tolerated. Call the police and the police don't respond (which would explain another aspect of what Bob was hearing on the radio last night).

Another interesting tidbit...you can buy fireworks in Pennsylvania as long as you can prove that you DON'T live in Pennsylvania. They're illegal in Pennsylvania. Hmmmmm......
    Last edited by SunDance; 07-05-2015 at 09:53 AM. Reason: red

I don't think we had more, but there are a few newer families in the area that set them off so they were a lot louder than usual.

Some but no too bad. Two houses that normally bonkers did the same this year but the back door neighbor did not do a thing.

Any fireworks that shoot up in the air are illegal here but that does not stop them. Same here, I believe folks are going to Indiana and buying up trunk loads. Last year there were road blocks with Illinois police checking for fireworks being brought into the state. Did not hear about that this year.

Thankfully, Mardi and Archie do not seem to notice. I did have the house closed up and the air conditioning on (a little muggy last night).
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

They're now legal in NY. A ton more than usual. Luna slept through them as always
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Boy, that buying restriction is weird.

We didn't go to see them on Canada Day, too tiring for OH. There aren't any big organized fireworks for July 4, since that's not our holiday and we just had them July 1st anyway. But I have noticed people setting them off way more often throughout the summer. It's a concern. There have been grass fires and we worry about dry forest canopy catching fire. Rules on the packages say to have a certain size area clear of buildings and trees but from the number we see and hear in our well treed village, the rules are not being followed.

Senior Dog

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    Boy, that buying restriction is weird.

We didn't go to see them on Canada Day, too tiring for OH. There aren't any big organized fireworks for July 4, since that's not our holiday and we just had them July 1st anyway. But I have noticed people setting them off way more often throughout the summer. It's a concern. There have been grass fires and we worry about dry forest canopy catching fire. Rules on the packages say to have a certain size area clear of buildings and trees but from the number we see and hear in our well treed village, the rules are not being followed.
    I was noodling around a bit and found an article stating that the fireworks available to out-of-State residents are bought from a location certified (or whatever it said) by the Dept. of Agriculture. Supposedly, the other sellers don't even have the fireworks that are illegal to use in Pa. But the one person quoted is identified as being from the seller that has the billboards here in Md. So...???? Something funny going on.

The one thing I was really grateful for last night was all the rain we'd had lately...including during the day yesterday. We've had years where we were already in serious draught conditions and stupid people (including right next door one year) were setting the doggone things off anyway.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos