Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Advice for flying with your lab

Hello! I'm going to be flying home for an extended stay and am planning on taking Bubba with me. He'll be about 4 months then so not huge, but also no longer puppy sized. It is a non-stop cross-country flight from California to DC. He'll be able to stay in the cabin with me thanks to an airline personnel connection. I think they usually try to give you the seats with the most leg room so he'll be able to lay by my feet. I'm mostly worried about keeping him calm and happy.

Does anyone have any advice? One thing in particular is what his food and water schedule should be and what to do about him needing to go to the bathroom.

Thanks in advance!

Since he's going to be in the cabin, I'd limit food and water before the flight, which would hopefully make the potty issue a moot point. Keeping a 4 month old calm is a small space for 5 plus hours....... I've got nothing for ya but good luck!

Maybe take some of those potty pads with you that you could take in the bathroom if he seems to need to go. I can't imagine having to limit food and water for a puppy that young for that length of time but I am sure it is doable. Good luck and travel safely!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (07-05-2015)

limit food and water, and bring some chew-able treats (that don't upset his stomach! maybe a pig ear or the like). you'll want him chewing for the descent especially, so he doesn't get plugged ears (kind of like how we can yawn and stretch our jaws, and we give babies a bottle to suck on, kids chewing gum). perhaps a few frozen (keep in a lunchbag type freezer bag) kongs with very little bits of yogurt or applesauce frozen to the inside edges.

does he wear a harness? just saying that might be a good "addition" to his collar and leash, as it gives you more areas to grab a wriggling youngster and hold on to him. 5 hours will be interesting! thankfully he's cute, so more likely to win over your seatmate! I would think that throwing a tennis ball down the aisle for him will be a no-no.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoutpout View Post
    I would think that throwing a tennis ball down the aisle for him will be a no-no.
    As a Lab lover, I would find that adorable. Unfortunately there are actually people that don't like dogs and wouldn't be amused.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Scoutpout (07-06-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by zd262 View Post
    Hello! I'm going to be flying home for an extended stay and am planning on taking Bubba with me. He'll be about 4 months then so not huge, but also no longer puppy sized. It is a non-stop cross-country flight from California to DC. He'll be able to stay in the cabin with me thanks to an airline personnel connection. I think they usually try to give you the seats with the most leg room so he'll be able to lay by my feet. I'm mostly worried about keeping him calm and happy.

Does anyone have any advice? One thing in particular is what his food and water schedule should be and what to do about him needing to go to the bathroom.

Thanks in advance!
    A friend's search and rescue dog flying long distances was trained to potty on command on a large puppy pad in a tiny restroom. If an adult German Shepherd can do it in an emergency, I guess a Lab Pup could be. That is a heck of an age to fly in cabin, though. I think I would also have an absorbent non-permeably backed mat for him to lie on, along with Nature's Miracle, plastic bags and paper towels, etc. and teach him to down-stay on the mat. And pray.
    Last edited by Charlotte K.; 07-05-2015 at 11:02 PM.

How is he going in the cabin? Did your airline connection pull strings and say he's a service animal? I can see people getting upset about that. I certainly get upset when I see the service animal privilege abused by people that just want to bring their pets with them.

Also, I would be pretty grossed out if I saw a dog (service animal or not) pee on a pad inside the plane while in flight. Just saying..

no advice but WOW that is one crazy connection you have there!! that's crazy lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by arentspowell View Post
    How is he going in the cabin? Did your airline connection pull strings and say he's a service animal? I can see people getting upset about that. I certainly get upset when I see the service animal privilege abused by people that just want to bring their pets with them.

Also, I would be pretty grossed out if I saw a dog (service animal or not) pee on a pad inside the plane while in flight. Just saying..
    I would much rather see a pee pad used than an accident on the floor of the plane. I think it is difficult to expect a 4 month old puppy to go that many hours and not expect it to need to potty. The excitement from all the people, new sights, smells and sounds is over load for a dog of any age let alone a young puppy.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    I would much rather see a pee pad used than an accident on the floor of the plane. I think it is difficult to expect a 4 month old puppy to go that many hours and not expect it to need to potty. The excitement from all the people, new sights, smells and sounds is over load for a dog of any age let alone a young puppy.
    I think it all comes back to why/how the dog is flying. Airlines have pretty strict rules about animals in planes and typically only grant exceptions for service animals. If that's how the OP is getting his dog on the plane that really isn't right, regardless of his personal connection. It hurts people who legitimately have service animals and I would not be surprised if the OP gets some nasty looks and comments from other passengers. Along those same lines, service animals are typically well past puppyhood so they wouldn't be eliminating on the plane to begin with. And the other issue would be what to do with the pee soaked pad, hand it over to the stewardess? I'm sorry but that's just unsanitary!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos