Thread: Skunks

House Broken

Skunks

So today my friend had told me her dog got skunked and that I should have an 'emergency plan' for when/if it does happen to my dog in the future (even though I'd try my best not to let that happen haha). I was wondering if anyone had a plan that they wouldn't mind sharing or had their own experience and what actually worked for them.

coppercleaner
    I have a bottle of Skunk Off on hand if needed. My dogs were both sprayed lightly once (in the middle of the night) and the Skunk Off worked great. That's my preparedness. So far this year, it doesn't seem like we have as many skunks as in prior years, but I'm ready.

Skunk Off here too. I keep a bottle on hand. Beats the old tomato juice remedy all to heck and doesn't turn your white dog pink.

When we go out for the bedtime pee I rattle the door handle lots and then go out and clap my hands to let any skunks in the yard know to beat it. LOL, there's church next door with youth services on Friday night. Sometimes the kids clap back, which can only help me. I used to only do this in warmer seasons, figuring skunks were hibernating in winter. But Oban got nailed between the high snowbanks on either side of the path to the back when he met a skunk. We'd had a warm spell in the middle of winter and Mrs. Skunk woke up.

Trust me, your dog will only get skunked late at night as you ready for bed after a long day or early in the morning as you rush to get ready to go to work. Well, the odds are. It's good to be prepared.

We have a gallon of Natures Miracle on hand. We live out in the sticks and have plenty of wildlife around. So far no need to use it but we take Mocha out on a leash for his last TT trip of the night.
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

theres a homemade remedy consisting of Dawn, hydrogen peroxide, and something else, that friends have used with great success, and i had to use it once on Scout, but its not something you can make up ahead of time, more like have the ingredients on hand.
    I really should invest in a bottle of Skunk-Off for those really inconvenient times!

Senior Dog
    Kimber was skunked once; ironically, it happened when we lived in town (we've lived in the boonies most of her life). Hydrogen peroxide + baking soda + a few squirts of Dawn dish soap (measurements here: The Recipie & Directions) worked great for us. For best results, the hydrogen peroxide should be from an unopened bottle, not one that's been opened and sitting around for a yer. We thoroughly washed her twice the day of, and once a day for the next few days, and then again about a week later. It's important to keep going at it because otherwise the skunk smell comes back when your lab gets wet- even months later!

Lesson: If you dry your dog off with towels, MAKE SURE you wash those towels right away, separately from all other laundry, using Nature's Miracle or Skunk Off. You *don't* want to taint your washing machine and dryer so everything you have smells of skunk.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Senior Dog
    We keep a bottle of Nature’s Miracle Skunk remover on hand just in case. The first skunking we had was when both dogs (Scully & Mulder) got skunked at 11:30 at night on a Sunday - the night before I was scheduled to go into the hospital to have my daughter. Fortunately our neighbor was up and had some stuff on hand as her dogs have been skunked repeatedly.

Chloe got it bad about 2 years ago - it was on her face which is hard to clean as you don’t want to get the stuff in their eyes and if she got wet she stank for months!
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Definitely have a plan since Bandit and Melody got skunked at the same time, Twice!

First time DH did not realize and let them in and they promptly headed for the living room and rolled on the carpet. What a mess! Not only cleaning up the dogs but replacing the carpet.

I use the hydrogen peroxide, Dawn and baking soda mix and it has worked quite well. Mix up, soak the dog in the area sprayed and let sit for 15 minutes. Rinse and repeat up to three times if necessary. On Bandit it was necessary, Melody only took one treatment each time.

Whatever you do, don't let your dog in until you're ready to bathe! It gets everywhere. If necessary, put down sheets, towels, blankets for them to walk on to the bathroom. Have on hand one of those auto spray air fresheners and get it going.

After the first time, I scrubbed myself up from top to bottom and headed to the carpet store. Explained to the sales rep what happened and he said he could still smell it on me - UGH!
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos