Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

American and English lab

I hear lots of terms like bench, field, american, english lab, etc...my question is of the mix between an American and English lab. The reason I ask is because that is what Chili is. Is this considered a tell tale sign of byb's or puppymills? Do respected breeders practice this type of breeding? Can show/conformation dogs win being mixed like this or it doesnt matter? just trying to learn more...
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Puppy
    From my understanding, at least here in Europe, breeders don´t care about those labels since i believe most of them, if not all of them comes from british roots, and same happens in the US (i have been told)

Did your breeder tell you the mix, or did you figure it out yourself?

when I bought Chili online, it was advertised as such. As many oldtimers here know, I just rushed out and wanted a dog and bought the 1st one I fell in love with online cause I didnt know any better.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Around here "English" is a common term for the shorter stockier labs that are generally known to be calmer and used for shows. "American" is a common term for the taller, skinner labs with higher energy and were bred more specifically to hunt for long hours. I know that breeders prefer the terms show or bench bred and field. But the commonly used terms among the general public are English and American.
    Last edited by WhoopsaDaisy; 06-01-2014 at 05:05 PM.
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhoopsaDaisy For This Useful Post:

voodoo (06-01-2014), ZRabbits (06-01-2014)

Senior Dog
    Voodoo,

I did the same thing with my rabbits. Ran out, had no clue, and in the Rabbit Show World, got burnt. But I learned. Chili is lucky to have someone like you in his corner. I really researched Labs after I got Lilly. Had no clue of the terms either. Being in the rabbit world, many meanings for one word. Very confusing at first

I would think Chili would lean more toward the "English".

KAZ

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ZRabbits For This Useful Post:

voodoo (06-01-2014)

House Broken
    Well, there are well bred bench dogs and well bred field dogs. And then there is pet bred. I think that most labs in this country are pet bred. More moderate, but not necessarily a mix of well bred bench and field dogs.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to indybindy For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (06-01-2014), Sue (06-01-2014), voodoo (06-01-2014), windycanyon (06-02-2014), ZRabbits (06-01-2014)

There are going to be those breeders that have a nice hunting dog with titles and then want to pretty up their lines a bit by bringing in some show dog lines. They may even be trying to produce one of the few CH MH's that are out there. But it's not a regularly practiced things by reputable breeders since most well bred labs do have the drive and instinct to work in the field.

Most of the time I think breeders who are doing it right are doing it to support their passion...either hunting or showing. The ones that just breed any two dogs together, usually the ones referred to an "American/English" mix are more just producing pets. No thought to the pedigree. Just the two dogs available for breeding.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

CaraDeo (06-02-2014), labsnewfy (06-02-2014), Meeps83 (06-01-2014), POPTOP (06-01-2014), voodoo (06-01-2014), WhoopsaDaisy (06-01-2014), ZRabbits (06-01-2014)

Even in the UK there is a distinct difference between "show" and "field" Labs. The field type of Labs tend to be more like what is considered an American Lab. There are breeders who breed what they consider "dual-purpose". That is they breed labs to conform to the breed standard, while possessing the capabilities of retrieving game to hand in a variety of conditions.

In the UK there is a distinction between a Show Champion, and a full Champion. A Show Champion has been awarded three Challenge Certificates at Championship Shows. That is, they were the best of that sex at a given show. A full Champion meets this requirement and must must perform a retrieve at a sanctioned Kennel Club event.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

voodoo (06-01-2014), ZouZou (06-02-2014), ZRabbits (06-01-2014)

Friends of mine were back yard breeders I tried for years to educate and talk them out of it as much as I could but they were still in it of the money. They didn't know there was a difference between American/English field/bench and you can tell with their puppies. They sometimes had a two for one sale to "get rid of the black puppies" probably the reason they just gave me Sarah. I love Sarah she has the pretty head of a field with the long skinny legs, her body is more barrel like the bench, she is very intelligent has a nice prey drive and learns quickly just a little funny looking to me.

Tootsie although from a puppy mill was all English/bench beautiful head and body while Sarah is a little tall Tootsie was just the right size.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to labsnewfy For This Useful Post:

ZouZou (06-02-2014), ZRabbits (06-02-2014)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by labsnewfy View Post
    Friends of mine were back yard breeders I tried for years to educate and talk them out of it as much as I could but they were still in it of the money. They didn't know there was a difference between American/English field/bench and you can tell with their puppies. They sometimes had a two for one sale to "get rid of the black puppies" probably the reason they just gave me Sarah. I love Sarah she has the pretty head of a field with the long skinny legs, her body is more barrel like the bench, she is very intelligent has a nice prey drive and learns quickly just a little funny looking to me.

Tootsie although from a puppy mill was all English/bench beautiful head and body while Sarah is a little tall Tootsie was just the right size.
    Same with bunnies, black bunnies are like the plague when it comes to pet people. Don't know, maybe I'm crazy, but so like black. Tough color to take pics of, but it's fun trying. lol

KAZ

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos