Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protective Lab

Protective Lab

I've wondered whether Stig would protect me if he needed to, only because he LOVES everyone! Seriously he thinks everyone is his BFF. Well today I found out.

I came home from the grocery store this morning, let Stig out of his crate, then opened the sliding glass door so he could go outside and do his business. I followed slowly behind him. All of a suden he starts barking and growling like crazy. At first I thought he was probably just barking at a lizard (the only thing he barks at other than dogs he wants to play with), but the growling kind of made me think twice. I looked towards the side of the house and there was a man jumping over our retaining wall toward the greenbelt behind our house. He stopped when he saw me and sat on it, and silly me asked what he was doing. I really have no idea what prompted me to talk to him, but I did. He said he was with his son (on the other side of the wall) and they were hunting lizards. I went back into the house with Stig, locked the door, and called the non-emergency police number. I gave a description of the man to the dispatcher and she said a cop would come by. A few minutes later the cop shows up and said the found the man and another officer had him detained down the street. His story didn't really match up (he said he was some sort of life coach to the boy he was with), so he thought maybe he was trying to break in or a Peeping Tom. He checked my property and nothing stood out. At this point the other cop had taken the young boy aside and he said they had just been looking for lizards. We decided not to press charges or have him arrested. He had no warrants and had never been arrested before, he was just a stupid guy for going into someones back yard looking for lizards. The cops didn't think he was a threat either, and were going to make sure to tell him to stay out of people's yards especially in Arizona. I told him that if I would have seen him from inside the house I would have grabbed a gun before confronting him outside.

Anyway, I definitely feel safer knowing that Stig can scare someone of and/or protect me if needed! Everyone always says Labradors are not good guard dogs, but I'm convinced any dog can be if needed. Stig definitely got some extra love today as well as a few extra treats.

House Broken
    wow,excellent! I really do not know if my lab can be protective or not. I hope to find out but I wish I don't have the chance to find out.

That's scary and you did the right thing. Our grill cover blew over into another part of our yard a few months back. Mocha didn't know what it was. I couldn't tell either, it kinda looked like a dead body, but I admit I watch too many detective shows Anyway, he definitely had his "big dog" growl going on. He puffed up all over and was going to tear it to shreds. I think Mocha would be protective, but I would probably try to be more protective of him I hope we never get to find out!

Good boy!

I am quite confident if your lab thought your life was in danger, then he would be willing to give his life to protect you.

That is very scary! I know Emma would try to tear someone to shreds, it has happened. Maxx just loves everyone and I pray we never have to find out.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Senior Dog
    Even if that man really was up to no good, he probably won't be coming by your house again...good Stig!

My first Lab, who was 3 years old when we got him, was absolutely protective of us. Big gentle giant with a loud bark.

House Broken
    get em Stig! Rip his head off! lol

I pity the fool that would try to mess with you on Stig's watch.

On a serious note, I hope the police took the time to establish and confirm what the man's relationship was to the boy.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

Good doggie!

Mine just growls at squirrels.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos