Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Green beans... What kind?

Hey so Daisy weighed about 69.5 lbs at the vets yesterday and the vet said she looked "sausage-y". I agree she needs to lose a about 4 lbs... Not as much as the vet thinks but whatever.
    Anyway, I thought I would add some green beans to her food and just reduce her food a bit. I remember people mentioning specific kind of green beans to get?
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    —Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

Canned, fresh and frozen is fine as long as they are sodium free. Zoey is weird with green beans, she only likes canned and spits out frozen and fresh

Mine will eat pretty much anything. I get either no salt added canned green beans or frozen cut up green beans. Since I have 2 dogs, they each get a half can at one meal per day in place of about 1/4 cup of kibble. If I give them the frozen ones, I put them in a bowl with some water and heat them just long enough to thaw them then add the beans and the water I used to heat them into their bowls. They'd probably actually eat them still frozen. They'll eat fresh but those are usually for our dinner, not theirs.

I buy frozen and cook them on the stove in plain water. Maxx loves fresh, frozen or canned, I give him a few frozen as a treat. My picky girl Emma removes each one out of her dinner, piles them on the floor and eats them all after her dinner, continuously giving me the stink eye. I don't really think she likes them but god forbid Maxx have something she doesn't! I have even tried giving them to her separate from her actual kibble but she just sits in front of her bowl and looks at me like I am nuts.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

I get the frozen bagged ones from Trader Joes.

I also use zucchini as I grow more than I could possibly eat.

I also use frozen cut green beans. By the time I pour a little warm water on the kibble and swirl it around the beans are defrosted. I'll also add in some fresh, if I can find them, or frozen blueberries or peach chunks. Really helps keep Mardi's weight down.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I put a half a can of the green beans (no salt added) in her food tonight and she ate it! She took out the green beans from the bowl and then ate them... She chewed each piece individually so it took forever for her to eat her dinner - which isn't a bad thing at all. Hopefully she doesn't have any upset tummy/runny poop issues now. Thanks for the advice!
    I don't think I'll be able to do this at my SIL's house next week though - she already told me adding water to the food makes a big mess on the laundry room floor ( I was adding water to her dog's food as well) so if Daisy takes out all of the green beans and then eats them this could be extremely messy!

Quote Originally Posted by WhoopsaDaisy View Post
    I put a half a can of the green beans (no salt added) in her food tonight and she ate it! She took out the green beans from the bowl and then ate them... She chewed each piece individually so it took forever for her to eat her dinner - which isn't a bad thing at all. Hopefully she doesn't have any upset tummy/runny poop issues now. Thanks for the advice!
    I don't think I'll be able to do this at my SIL's house next week though - she already told me adding water to the food makes a big mess on the laundry room floor ( I was adding water to her dog's food as well) so if Daisy takes out all of the green beans and then eats them this could be extremely messy!
    Lol, she thinks like my Emma! Can you not put a mat or even a towel down under Daisy's bowl? Gosh, adding water and green beans is the least of the messes I worry about with my 2, lol!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    Lol, she thinks like my Emma! Can you not put a mat or even a towel down under Daisy's bowl? Gosh, adding water and green beans is the least of the messes I worry about with my 2, lol!
    A towel is a good idea maybe I will see if she'll go for that. Daisy is a pretty sloppy eater and even more so with water.

Mine are both sloppy eaters and Maxx drips water from the kitchen, through the dining room, into the den and in to the nearest persons lap if you don't catch him, it cleans up! I put towels under their food bowls, it works very well.

Your SIL would freak if she could see my 2 jump out of the pool, get the zoomies through the yard and bust through the door in their happiness! I am not ever going to interrupt a zoomie session just to keep my floors clean. Emma is almost 10 and those crazy times are getting further apart as each day passes. I look like a fool laughing at them, I am ok with that and cleaning up any dirt they might bring in. I have family members that would lose their mind if it happened at their house so I do understand. Some people just do not understand Labrador happiness, they don't know what they are missing!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos