Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Passive Resistance

I have a few techniques I plan to try (and yes we are starting all over on recall..AGAIN)… but interested in hearing other thoughts on how to handle this situation with Penny. Penny is around 2.5 (we think), I adopted her around October 2013 (we estimated her t be around 7-10 months, no history as she was a stray).

New issue, started when the weather warmed up this spring. Penny loves being outside. I don't like leaving dogs outside unattended. She gets some limited time outside alone but I don't make it a habit and keep it short (and prefer when AC isn't on and I can leave the door open). When I want to go in, and she doesn't want to come in, she does her passive resistance. She'll belly up. and not move. It's very hard to pick up a dog in a belly up (and i have to be careful as she can be timid and I don't want to "sabotage" our relationship).

things I have tried:
    - ignoring and going in. This works sometimes if she sorta kinda wants to come in. But if she doesN't then - well she just got her way
    - finding a toy she loves and playing with her and then sending the toy inside - nope, not gone work
    - high valu food - hahaha not a chance
    - play with her, run around and get her chasing me then run in - duh she's smarter than that!

so we're gonna work on recall and just general management.

Any new ideas to try?

Gotta love passive resistance she sure knows how to work it!
    Last edited by Tanya; 07-10-2015 at 07:40 AM.

Long line and prong collar so you can enforce your command. I've been working with Bruce (who has good recall) with a 25' lead and his prong on our twice daily walks. I'll let him sniff and wander, letting out the lead as he goes. When I get anywhere from 5' to 20' from him, I give him a "here" and if he doesn't respond with about a half second, I leash check him. If he comes without leash check, I praise and treat him, if I leash check, I praise but no treat. I've been doing this for about two weeks now, and on a 20 minute walk, I haven't had to leash check over the past days.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (07-10-2015), Doreen Davis (07-11-2015), windycanyon (07-14-2015)

this is probably overthinking but if i use the recall word to bring her in do have to uset he long line to pull her in, could that make her dislike the recall word and associate it to something seh "does not like" (end of fun; coming in)? I could use the long line without the word for her. actually I can usually predict when she'll do this so yeah long line was on my list to try

we are going to run thru a long program for actuall recall work.

Thanks!

A recall should be a recall, whatever word you use, whether she wants to or not. One command is enough.

I think she has found a way to get you to interact with her. Recall should be all business. I don't mean not making the training fun but if you ask her to come to you, you need to make it stick. If she gets away with it once, she knows she can get away with it again. Start on a short leash and graduate up to a long lead using a prong if necessary. Her reward should be being able to run free and play but has to return to you if you ask her to.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

House Broken
    I don't know your history, but generally wouldn't think it would make Penny dislike recall if you are always intending to use that as yoyr word, and not ONLY practicing it in the going inside scenario. Call her to go outside, call her to o the places in the yard outside etc and let her associate recall with good things.

Hemi has a extremely string recall to the point other trainers have been super impressed. My method takes 2 people for a while. Use a long leash, have the other person take the dog away. Say your word, I just use "recall" because it is not like any of my other words at all. Then pull the leash gently till she starts to come. They Yay, high voice very happy puppy party with treats. Repeat, the other person should be pretty calm and boring the first few times ignoring her and not petting. You want to be way more exciting and happy. So this about 10 times. Take a break. However, when you say recall she should start coming and running to have a party. If she starts coming before hand then you know it is time for the other person to be more interesting. So they can start talking to her, petting her you say recall and she should come to you. If not pull the leash until she does. Just be happy and cheer. Eventually you want to work up to the other person playing with a toy and you call recall. Make it fun and have fun. Make it all a game. This might take a half hour or so but don't work to much longer. If needed to another session the next day or two.

Now she has learned recall means yay treats and party. Now just do it randomly a few times a day for no reason. She could be in another room or someplace else or busy with a toy. Just be ready to get super happy dance around and treats. Keep practicing. Practice in the yard, other places she can be off leash. It's really about practicing as with anything. Soon it just gets ingrained in their head. The time you absolutely need it, it will be there.

I was thinking something similar to K10-> practice using the recall word at many, many times other than when it means the fun is over, time to come inside. I can't say my dogs are great about it when there are distractions like other dogs outside the fence, but when we're outside, I often call them to come to me, pet and praise them, then send them back to play or whatever they were doing. Sometimes I have a treat, sometimes it's just a good rubbing and scrubbing and happy, happy voice for coming, now go play some more. Sometimes I stand near the door, sometimes I'm out in the yard. If the recall word doesn't always mean the fun is over, I think they are more willing to do it. I did start on a leash then on a long line and it helps that both my dogs are very food motivated.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (07-10-2015), TuMicks (07-19-2015)

Smartrock is right on!

What is your dog's reinforcer? Being outside. If every time you call her it means the good times are coming to an end, then she's not as likely to come. I've never had a recall like I have now with my younger dog who I taught like Smartrock is explaining. It's a lot like when training for the dog to give up a bone and you praise them, give it back, then send them away to go chew on it. It doesn't necessarily mean you're going to take it away, so there's no reason to run off, hide, or get defensive. Same thing.

Thanks guys.

I have a plan for recall, I'll be doing recallers again (wish Susan Garrett). I guess I was thinking of ways NOT involving a "recall" (like just using a long line) to get her in. I'll stick with a leash or long line when she starts for now.

House Broken
    I wonder... what if you did something similar to crate games... only with the whole house being the crate? I don't know specifically where I would go with that, but thought maybe it would spark a new kind of idea for you.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos